CRTI in Latin America
Applications for the 2023 Clinical Research Training Institute in Latin America (CRTI-LA) program is now open.
The ASH Clinical Research Training Institute (CRTI) in Latin America is a two-day highly-interactive in-person workshop intended for fellows and early- to mid-career hematology faculty working in Latin American countries to become more familiar with clinical trial design and execution. As a participant, you will:
- Build a foundation and explore the methodologies of patient-oriented clinical research.
- Strengthen fundamental skills needed to become a successful patient-oriented clinical leader.
- Gain extensive networking opportunities with others who share the same passion.
- Develop a potential capstone project that builds upon skills learned during the curriculum and small group peer-reviews.
- Receive individualized mentorship from program faculty to advance your proposed project.
If you have previously participated in CRTI in Latin America, you may be eligible to apply for Advanced CRTI in Latin America.
|Applications Open||August 1, 2022|
|Applications Close||October 7, 2022|
|CRTI-LA Workshop in São Paulo, Brazil||April 26-27, 2023|
CRTI in Latin America is held two days prior to Highlights of ASH in Latin America, which takes place each year in April. This year's workshop will take place in São Paulo, Brazil, and requires no fee to apply. Participants’ housing and travel expenses to attend the workshop will be covered by ASH.
The two-day workshop composed of didactic sessions, small-group breakouts, and one-on-one mentoring sessions covers the following topics:
- Searching the literature and how to use bibliographic software
- Developing a registry
- Conducting research in Latin America: conflicts of interest and ethics
Small-group breakouts allow faculty and participants to interact and discuss potential projects in a format that promotes peer-review among participants and facilitates collaboration between centers. Additionally, scheduled one-on-one mentoring sessions offer participants individual time with CRTI faculty members, including a biostatistician and a library scientist.
The didactic sessions introduce participants to the fundamentals of clinical trial design, including:
- The importance of good mentorship
- Developing a great clinical research question
- How to create a research team, collaborations, and grant funding in Latin America
- How to write an abstract and manuscript for publication
The following webinars can help you prepare for your experience in the CRTI program.
- How to Develop a CV
- CRTI Mentorship
- Intro to the Statistical Software SPSS
- Intro to the Statistical Software R
Applicants to CRTI LATIN AMERICA must meet the following criteria:
- Be a clinician (medical doctor, nurse, psychologist, etc.) with a clinical practice in benign or malignant hematology. Please note that a clinical practice exclusively in solid tumors and research interests focused exclusively on laboratory-based research are not sufficient to qualify.
- Be a fellow or have a current faculty appointment within 15 years from the first faculty appointment in a division or department of hematology or oncology in Latin America.
- Be fluent in written and spoken English.
- Be a physician actively working in one of the following countries:
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
Criteria For Evaluation, Selection, and Notification
All eligible applications will be reviewed by a study section, and up to 20 qualified candidates will be selected to attend. The selection criteria include:
- Meet application eligibility requirements.
- Demonstrate the potential to develop and sustain an investigator-initiated clinical research career in hematology. This will be adjudicated based upon the CV and goals for attendance.
How to Apply
The CRTI in Latin America application, as well as all supporting documents outlined below, must be submitted electronically through the ASH online awards portal.
All applications must include the following:
- Curriculum vitae (CV) (maximum three pages) with applicant’s complete contact information, description of the applicant’s present faculty position (including title of the position and major responsibilities), prior training in clinical research (if any), publications, list of trainees the applicant has mentored and their current position (if any), and any other relevant information specific to the applicant’s career in clinical research. The CV must clearly distinguish between peer-reviewed publications from abstracts presented at conferences. For a detailed guide on how to build a curriculum vitae, watch our webinar on “How to Develop a CV”.
- Research question and a few sentences about the applicant’s proposed project (a complete protocol is not required to apply or be accepted to CRTI in Latin America).
- Goals for attendance (one to two paragraphs). Applicants should state how attendance at CRTI in Latin America will enhance their career.
Terms and Conditions
- Selected participants must agree to attend the reception the evening prior to the course as well as both days of the program.
- Those selected will be responsible for making arrangements with their institution to attend CRTI in Latin America.
Other International Programs
- Advanced Clinical Research Training Institute in Latin America
Provides ongoing training and mentorship for graduates of CRTI in Latin America, with a focus on continuing to improve skills and knowledge through workshops and one-on-one faculty meetings
- 2020 Highlights of ASH® in Latin America
Attend Highlights of ASH to evaluate your diagnostic techniques and therapeutic approaches and to discuss with leading hematology experts and colleagues how new research and clinical updates can be translated into new patient care strategies.
- Global Initiatives
ASH provides a wide array of educational opportunities to hematologists in research and practice around the world. If you have previously participated in CRTI in Latin America, you may be eligible to apply for Advanced CRTI in Latin America.
For questions regarding the Clinical Research Training Institute in Latin America, please contact the ASH Training Department at [email protected]