Cellular Components: Learning Objectives
Medical ImportanceKnowledge of the contents of blood components and derivatives, and knowledge of the effects of irradiation and filtering of blood components, is essential to selecting appropriate transfusion therapy.
- Be able to give three reasons why blood component therapy is preferable to whole blood therapy.
- Be able to name the clinical indication for red cell transfusion.
- Two methods of platelet product preparation are now commonly used. Be able to state what they are.
- Approximately 30-40 percent of recipients of repeated platelet transfusions become alloimmunized. Be able to state what this means, how it can be prevented, and how it can be managed if it occurs.
- Blood products are often ordered to be CMV negative, irradiated, and / or filtered. Be able to give one clinical indication for each.