ASH Minority Hematology Fellow Award
The ASH Minority Hematology Fellow Award (MHFA), part of the ASH Minority Recruitment Initiative, encourages early-career researchers from historically underrepresented minority groups in the United States and Canada to pursue a career in academic hematology, and provides salary support as well as funds to support hematology-focused research projects.
The MHFA is open to MD/DO, PhD, and MD/DO-PhD researchers in their first or second year of fellowship at the time of application. The award provides each recipient with $100,000 for a two- to three-year period to guarantee protected time for clinical or laboratory-based hematology research projects, to develop additional skills in the conduct of research, and generate preliminary data. Additionally, awardees whose ASH Annual Meeting abstracts are accepted for oral or poster presentation may be eligible for annual meeting hotel and travel benefits.
The funds give fellows in training more time to generate sufficient expertise to be competitive when applying for other awards, such as the ASH-AMFDP Award, which targets applicants with more extensive research experience and preliminary data.
The following partner award is also part of the MHFA program:
ASH-CIBMTR-ASTCT Career Development Award (New Partner Award)
ASH has partnered with the Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research (CIBMTR) and the American Society for Transplantation and Cellular Therapy (ASTCT) on the ASH-CIBMTR-ASTCT Career Development Award to increase the number of hematologists from underrepresented backgrounds in medicine pursuing careers in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) and cellular therapy.
In addition to ASH MHFA benefits, award recipients will participate in the following CIBMTR and ASTCT focused opportunities:
- Attendance at the annual TCT Meetings
- Visits to CIBMTR campuses at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee and the National Marrow Donor Program/Be The Match (NMDP/BTM) in Minneapolis.
- Opportunities to learn about the unrelated donor search and procurement process, repository resources and other NMDP/BTM services.
- Analytics/Formal Statistical and Computer Training
- CIBMTR research project with a designated CIBMTR faculty and biostatistical mentor
- Participation in CIBMTR Statistical Meetings, a CIBMTR Working Committee, and an ASTCT Special Interest Group
- Opportunities to enroll in the ASTCT Leadership Course and Clinical Research Training Course
- Membership on the ASTCT Committee on Diversity and Inclusion
Eligibility and How to Apply
The award is designed for clinical and translational researchers who intend for clinical care of patients to be a part of their future career. Applicants must meet the eligibility requirements for the MHFA and have a research project related to hematopoietic stem cell transplantation or other cellular therapies.
Applicants will indicate their desire to be considered for the ASH-CIBMTR-ASTCT Career Development Award when submitting the MHFA application through the ASH online awards system.
|Application Available||August 17|
|Application Deadline||January 19|
For questions about the ASH Minority Hematology Fellow Award Program, please contact email@example.com.
Never miss an important deadline—sign up to receive email updates about ASH awards and training programs.
- Minority Hematology Fellow Award Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently asked questions about the Minority Hematology Fellow Award.