ASH Issues Recommendations to the NIDDK to help inform its Strategic Plan
ASH submitted comments to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) in response to the institute’s request for information on its strategic visioning process. The Society’s recommendations highlight the importance of supporting research focused on understanding basic biological processes that could contribute to hematologic diseases.
The Society recommends that the NIDDK prioritize the following topics in its strategic plan:
- Assessing the correlation between infectious diseases and hematologic disorders.
- Identifying factors impacting maternal mortality during pregnancy.
- Collaborating with stakeholders who are actively pursuing clinical trial initiatives to advance the development of treatments for orphan hematologic diseases like sickle cell disease.
- Creating more opportunities for communities in rural areas (or areas without a large medical center) to have exposure and access to on-going clinical trials.
- Providing training and mentorship programs for PhD students and post-doctoral fellows wishing to pursue hematology research.
- Ensuring that NIDDK’s grant review committees continue to feature a diverse population of experts.