Friday Satellite Symposia Guidelines
The Friday Satellite Symposia (FSS) are industry-supported, CME-certified symposia that are offered the day preceding the American Society of Hematology (ASH) annual meeting. These sessions are not part of the official ASH annual meeting program and are planned solely by the sponsoring company.
The 2022 FSS will take place on Friday, December 9, 2022. Please note meeting space is limited for in-person FSS in New Orleans. Based upon demand, ASH cannot guarantee all FSS applications for in-person symposia will be selected to take place in-person. The study section score will determine which symposia are selected to be in-person as well as the assigned time slot. Sessions not selected for in-person programming will have the option to be virtual. All applications received prior to the deadline of May 31, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. PST will be reviewed and scored at the same time regardless of the order received.
Please review the guidelines below before beginning the FSS submission process.
CME Provider – an organization accredited as a provider of continuing medical education. Accredited CME providers assume the responsibility and accountability for developing certified educational activities.
Commercial Support –financial, or in-kind, contributions given by a commercial interest (the “Commercial Supporter”), which is used to pay all or part of the costs of a CME activity. A Commercial Supporter cannot be an Organizer or CME Provider.
Organizer – the company Organizer responsible for submitting the application and serving as the main point of contact. Examples include medical education companies, Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) accredited providers, or educational partners, etc. An Organizer cannot be an ACCME-defined commercial interest.
The application and a program proposal must be submitted at the FSS submission site by May 31, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. Pacific time.
Please retain your login credentials during the application process, as you will need them to edit the program content following the study section review and approval.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Please be as accurate and detailed as possible, as ASH will email verbatim information contained in the applications of all accepted programs to all pre-registered attendees on three different occasions. ASH must be notified of any changes made after the submission deadline, including but not limited to, changes in the organizer, CME provider, commercial supporter(s), speakers, topics, and the title of the program.
Applications must be signed by one Organizer who accepts responsibility for the program and for following ASH’s FSS Guidelines. Please designate one Organizer with whom ASH should communicate and who agrees to share information with other stakeholders.
Please retain your login credentials during the application process, as you will need them to edit the program content following the study section review and approval.
ASH will accept up to two applications featuring any one company as the sole commercial supporter of a symposium. ASH does not limit the number of applications from a company for multi-company-supported symposia. That is, as long as there are multiple commercial supporters on a symposium proposal, there is no limit to the number of applications featuring the same Organizer, CME Provider, or Commercial Supporter.
There are four time slots available:
- 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. (nonprofit-sponsored symposia only)
- 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
All symposium rooms will be assigned based on the estimated number of attendees per the FSS application in banquet rounds. We are unable to accommodate deviations from this standard room set.
Access to the symposium rooms will be given 45 minutes prior to the start time. FSS rooms are re-used for each time slot, so earlier access and significant room set changes are not feasible. Requests for additional setup time may be accommodated, based on availability, and will be subject to additional fees.
Payment to the American Society of Hematology is associated with each symposium. It is necessary that funding be confirmed at the time of submission. Applicants are required to submit a letter of agreement from all supporting companies in order for each company to be listed as a co-supporter in promotional materials. Fees are based on the estimated attendance; however, please note that if the actual attendance exceeds the estimate, ASH will re-invoice as necessary. No refunds will be made if the attendance is lower than anticipated.
Standard Rates – For In-Person and Virtual-Only Programs
|Number of Attendees||Rate|
Nonprofit Rates – For In-Person and Virtual-Only Programs
|Number of Attendees||Rate|
- Broadcast in-person FSS to the ASH virtual audience - $30,000. For the additional fee, simultaneously livestream of in-person FSS to the ASH virtual meeting platform. All expenses associated with the opportunity, such as audio-visual, are the sole responsibility of the FSS organizer. Program link submissions are due to ASH in November.
- ASH is not responsible for any charges incurred for the symposium. All expenses associated with approved FSS programs, such as room set-up and clean-up, food and beverage, A/V, electrical, telephone, internet, shipping, etc., are the sole responsibility of the organizer. If you have questions, please contact Kelly Cade, ASH FSS Manager, Consultant, at [email protected].
- ASH prioritizes non-profit organizations during the 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. time slot and offers a reduced rate for non-profit organizations that choose to participate in this time slot.
- Any organization requesting the non-profit rates will be required to provide proof of non-profit status, such as an IRS Determination Letter, with the application.
- If there is a co-organizer for the symposia, both companies must demonstrate non-profit status to take advantage of the discounted rate.
- Non-profit organizations choosing the afternoon or evening time slots must pay the standard rate.
- In special circumstances, pharmaceutical companies providing funding support for a non-profit-sponsored symposium may request that their program be held during the 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. time slot; however, the standard rate will apply.
- FSS can be offered in-person, virtual only or both. FSS organizers are responsible for providing ASH with a link to the virtual program content. The virtual program fees are listed above and are scheduled during one of the four FSS time slots listed above.
- In addition to appearing on the annual meeting’s virtual platform for registered participants, ASH will post program links on the FSS page of the ASH Annual Meeting webpage on hematology.org and on the ASH meeting mobile app.
- On-demand FSS programming opportunities are available to FSS organizers of both in-person and virtual sessions. The duration of on-demand content posted corresponds with the fee assessed for the FSS session. For example, FSS fees paid in the lowest range, $43,000- $105,000, are posted the shortest duration. FSS fees paid in the highest range, $68,000-$153,000, are posted the longest duration. On-demand dates will be available at a later date.
- All expenses associated with approved virtual FSS programs, such as audio-visual and non-ASH promotion are the sole responsibility of the FSS organizer. ASH is not responsible for any charges incurred for the symposium.
Virtual and On-Demand FSS
Only organizations accredited by the ACCME are permitted to sponsor CME activities and must award AMA PRA Category One (1) Credit™. These accredited providers are responsible for the content, quality, and scientific integrity of all CME-certified activities.
ASH does not suggest content or speakers for activities for which it is not the accredited provider. ASH encourages all CME providers participating in the FSS to review the current ACCME Standards for Commercial Support. These standards, along with tools to implement them, can be found at www.accme.org.
- There must be appropriate evaluation of symposium content and speakers, as well as a final attendance count. Please email the evaluation summary by January 31, 2023 to [email protected]
- A formal study section will score applications based on the quality of the program content as described in the proposal. The study section will be looking for scientific merit, audience interest in the topic, and uniqueness of the symposium (i.e., not similar to any of the ASH Education Program or Scientific Program sessions or duplicating one of last year’s FSS).
- This score will determine which symposia are selected as well as the assigned time slot. ASH cannot guarantee the preferred time slot. In addition, ASH cannot guarantee that the program will be scheduled unopposed by other presentations covering similar topics.
- The study section’s scores are confidential, and the decision of the study section is final.
- After the study section scores the applications, ASH will email letters to the Organizer. The Organizer for each approved symposium will also receive detailed instructions about logistics (including time slot, venue and room assignments, and audio/visual contacts), as well as an invoice and letter of agreement.
- IMPORTANT: Please retain your login credentials during the application process, as you will need them to edit program content following study section review and approval.
NOTE: Applicants for the FSS may not contact the study section, ASH members, or the ASH Executive Committee to influence selection for the FSS presentations. No recommendations and/or letters of support will be accepted for any application.
- The proposed program title must be indicative of the symposium content.
- The proposed objectives should clearly meet the educational needs of the target audience.
- The program must be presented in an objective, balanced, and scientifically rigorous manner.
- The program invited panel of speakers and moderators are to be diverse from a gender, race and ethnicity, and geographic perspective.
- The program cannot promote a specific drug product or service and must meet the policies and guidelines of the ACCME.
- The content and format of the CME activity and its related materials must promote improvements or quality in health care and not a specific proprietary business interest.
ASH policy prohibits members of the following groups from serving as faculty in an FSS. Members of the following are prohibited from participating as FSS speakers, moderators, or key opinion leaders. Please note that applications with faculty who are members of the following groups will be disqualified:
- 2022 ASH Executive Committee
- 2022 ASH Honorific and Mentor Award recipients (Available in March)
- 2022 ASH Program Committee
- 2022 ASH Annual Meeting Accredited Education Committee
- 2022 ASH Standing Committee chairs and editors
- 2022 ASH CME Accreditation Committee
- 2022 ASH Committee on Educational Affairs
- 2022 and 2023 ASH Education Program and Scientific Program co-chairs (Available in March)
- 2022 ASH Annual Meeting Invited Program faculty (chairs, moderators, speakers, and panelists). Names available beginning in March and updated throughout the year. Programs include:
- 2022 ASH Annual Meeting Scientific Program
- 2022 ASH Annual Meeting Education Program
- 2022 ASH Annual Meeting General Sessions, Presidential Symposium, ASH-EHA Joint Symposium., and named lectures (includes Honorific Award winners in the current year).
- 2022 ASH Annual Meeting Trainee Events
- Any other 2022 ASH Annual Meeting Special Sessions
- 2022 Scientific Workshops (SW); speakers, chairs and moderators are NOT allowed to participate in both FSW and FSS. ASH advises FSS Organizers to confirm this policy with secured FSS speakers in order to avoid late speaker substitutions. ASH does not invite nor confirm speakers for SW or FSS so the decision upon which program to speak is determined solely by the individual speaker being invited. (Available in July and updated throughout the year)
Note: Speakers from the Meet-the-Expert sessions (Meet the Scientist and How I Treat: Bringing Science to Clinical Dilemmas) are allowed to participate in the FSS, unless otherwise involved in the above-named groups.
All ASH standing committee members can be found on the ASH website.
The prohibited speaker list can be found here. This list was made available in mid-March and will be updated throughout the year.
Disclosure information for each chair/speaker/panelist must be submitted to ASH with the application. There are no exceptions.
FSS participants (chairs, speakers, panelists, etc.) can participate in only one symposium. It is the responsibility of the FSS Organizer to ensure that their speakers have not committed to speak at another symposium before submitting the application. If ASH receives two applications listing the same speaker, the symposium with the lower score will be rejected.
Letters of invitation to the speakers must clearly state that ASH expects that speakers will not substitute participation in an FSS program for participation in ASH's Education or Scientific Program sessions.
ASH requests that no more than six (6) speakers present at each symposium.
- ASH requires that any registration desk outside of the symposium room be limited to three six-foot tables.
- Registration must occur within the assigned time frame.
- Registration at the annual meeting is not a requirement for admittance into the FSS.
- It is the responsibility of FSS organizers to secure registration area materials, tables, easels, rope and stanchion, etc.
- Friday, November 4, 2022, is the submission deadline for lead retrieval. For more information, please contact 703-995-1800 and [email protected].
To ensure that all FSS abide by venue safety as well as ingress and egress policies, each FSS will be provided with two staff from ASH’s security vendor, RA Consulting. The security vendor will assist with line control as well as safe entry and exit out of the FSS meeting rooms. RA Consulting staff are not available to assist with registration, passing out materials, or any other aspects of the FSS program. If an FSS program exceeds the contracted number of attendees and the increased number will impact the safety of all attendees and/or violate the posted maximum capacity of the room as determined by the venue and Fire Marshal, ASH reserves the right to limit entry to additional attendees, regardless of any pre-registration status.
- All symposium rooms assigned are final. Assignments are based on the estimated number of attendees per the FSS application and set in banquet rounds. We are unable to accommodate deviations from this standard room set. Any questions regarding your room setup may be sent to Heather Winston at [email protected].
- Access to the symposium rooms will be given 45 minutes prior to the start time. FSS rooms are re-used for each time slot, thus earlier access and significant room set changes are not feasible. Requests for additional setup time may be accommodated, based on availability, and will be subject to additional fees.
- Rooms may be set with more seats than requested in the application, because FSS rooms are shared between multiple groups. If you have extra seats, you must still adhere to your estimated attendance, or you will be subject to fees for the additional attendees.
- Symposium lectures must be contained within your assigned room. Video overflow to adjacent rooms or foyers will not be permitted.
Speaker ready rooms are available based on the schedule outlined below. Please indicate whether you require a speaker ready room on your application. These rooms are set with conference tables for eight (8), and are typically shared between multiple groups, so requests for access to the speaker ready room outside of these times must be submitted at the time of your application and will be accommodated on a case-by-case basis pending space availability.
- 7:00 - 10:00 a.m.: Thursday from 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Symposia: Friday from 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
- 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Symposia: Friday from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. Symposia: Friday from 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- One room will be provided to use for both the symposium and food and beverage. Please be as accurate as possible when submitting your attendance number so we can ensure the room size is adequate as changes to room assignment will not be possible once assignments are made.
- All food service must occur within the assigned time frame.
- It is the responsibility of the FSS organizer to make food service arrangements with their assigned venue contact, which will be provided by ASH following program approval.
- Friday, November 4, 2022, is the submission deadline for catering.
- ASH requires all FSS organizers to use Freeman Audio Visual, ASH’s official audio/visual (A/V) company, for all programs. Once your application is accepted, contact information will be sent to all organizers.
- Freeman Audio Visual can also assist with any multimedia needs (e.g., CD-ROMs, webcasts, and publications).
- All slide presentations must be submitted in 16:9 aspect ratio.
- Friday, November 4, 2022, is the submission deadline for A/V. For more information please contact 703-995-1800 and [email protected].
- ASH requests that a one-page evaluation summary report, including a final attendance count, be sent to the ASH at [email protected] no later than January 31, 2023.
- Please keep in mind that CME enduring materials are different from syllabus materials or other printed or electronic records of the symposium. Enduring materials are printed, recorded, or computer-assisted educational materials that may be used over time at various locations and that in and of themselves constitute a planned CME activity. An enduring material, as a self-contained educational activity, must have its own needs assessment, educational objectives, content, evaluation instrument, and opportunity for physician learner interaction and discussion.
- As a separate educational activity, an enduring material must also have its own credit designation separate from the live activity (i.e., where a CME provider has certified the symposium for credit, the credit for the symposium does not translate or crossover to any enduring materials produced from content presented at the symposium).
- ASH must review and approve all promotional materials produced in conjunction with the FSS, including invitations, announcements, flyers, websites, and signs. The deadline to submit promotional materials for ASH approval is Friday, November 4, 2022. Please allow up to five business days for ASH to consider requests for approval.
- The ASH logo (or a graphic designed to mimic the ASH logo) may not be used on any promotion or other materials (including enduring materials) produced by companies other than ASH.
- Use of the American Society of Hematology’s name or copyrighted material on any announcement, sign, publication, or other material requires prior written approval by ASH FSS Manager, Consultant Kelly Cade at [email protected]
- Because the FSS is not officially part of the ASH annual meeting, companies cannot reference their symposium as part of ASH’s annual meeting or imply that it is an ASH event. It is acceptable to refer to the symposium as a “Friday Satellite Symposium on [title], preceding the 64th ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition.”
As a promotional benefit to organizers hosting an FSS, ASH will provide the following:
- FSS will be included in the official 64th ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition mobile app, providing exposure and directional ease for both organizers and attendees. Note: at the conclusion of the FSS and before the official start of the 64th ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition on Saturday, the FSS mobile app listing will expire.
- Registration links on hematology.org for all symposia. The FSS section of the website gets more than 16,000 visits annually.
- A listing of each symposium, including narrative description, location, and contact information, in the 64th ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition program.
- Three email blasts to the 64th ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition registered attendees, which will list the FSS title, time, and location. The e-blast schedule will be listed in mid-summer.
- The 2021 post-meeting and 2022 pre-registration attendee lists will also be available for purchase. For mailing list inquiries and orders, please contact Kristin Hudson at 800-564-4220 or [email protected].
- ASH pre-approval of all mailing pieces is required. Sample mail pieces must be emailed to [email protected] The deadline to submit your mailing piece for approval along with the mailing list request form is Tuesday, November 1, 2022.
- A flyer listing the FSS schedule and locations will be included in the door drop bags dispersed on Thursday evening for Friday, December 9, 2022, at various convention center hotels in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Use of the ASH mailing lists is for one-time use to promote the FSS only. This will be closely monitored, and any companies found to have used the list more than once will face significant penalties.
- One (1) 38”x87” meter panel easel back, poster, banner with an affixed box of program handouts per FSS program is permitted directly outside of symposium room.
- Two (2) 22”x28” directional signs are permitted at approved locations. A map indicating approved public space locations will be shared in the fall.
- No additional signage, nor promotional materials or structures will be allowed, including but not limited to logoed seating areas, furniture covers, gobos, video monitors, kiosks or projectors utilized outside of the meeting room to digitally promote a session. Organizers will be asked to remove additional promotional items found, or the items will be removed and discarded by ASH.
- Signage may be set up the morning of the FSS program. Signage posted prior to December 9 will be removed and discarded by ASH.
- Organizers, CME Providers, and Commercial Supporters will not be permitted to post promotional signs or literature in hotel or convention center lobbies.
- Sandwich boards, human directional and/or persons handing out promotional materials are prohibited in all venue areas. Standing in the public areas of the convention center or hotel lobby and hallway to promote your symposium is strictly prohibited. This will be closely monitored during FSS, and companies found violating these guidelines risk penalties from ASH. The Organizer handling logistics is responsible for adhering to these guidelines as well.
- Any signage found in non-approved locations will be removed and discarded by ASH.
- Any signage not collected at the conclusion of your session may incur a fee from removal and disposal.
- ASH must review and approve all signage produced in conjunction with the FSS. The deadline to submit promotional materials for ASH approval is Friday, November 4, 2022. Please submit to Kelly Cade at [email protected], and allow up to five business days for ASH to consider requests for approval.
Possible Penalties for Violating ASH Policies
- The company may not be eligible for participation in future FSS.
- The company may not have access to ancillary meeting space in future years.
- The company may not participate as an exhibitor in future years.
- The company may incur a reduction in priority points.
FSS organizers will have the opportunity to promote their symposia through hotel room door drops. Your promotional piece will be delivered to 4,400 guest room doors.
The deadline to submit a proof of your insert along with the Hotel Room Door Drop Application is October 14, 2022. All inserts must be delivered to the advance warehouse. ASH will arrange the delivery of the piece to be placed outside of guest rooms late Thursday evening preceding the 64th ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition.
The rate for the Friday Satellite Symposia insert is $9,000, or $3,500 for nonprofits, per insert. As an added benefit, FSS organizers that are also exhibiting at the ASH annual meeting can promote booth space or a Product Theater in the Saturday and/or Sunday bags. The fee is $9,000 per insert, per day, or $3,500 per insert, per day for nonprofits.
Participants interested in purchasing an insert can contact Kristin Hudson at [email protected].
Room blocks for FSS organizers may be secured online beginning in July 2022, date will be shared in the spring. All FSS room blocks are available on a prepaid, 100 percent non-refundable basis. For any additional housing questions, please contact the ASH Housing Center at [email protected].
All cancellations must be submitted to ASH in writing to [email protected]
- Any cancellations received in writing by June 14, 2022, will incur a processing fee of $100.
- Any cancellations received in writing June 15, 2022, through July 13, 2022, will incur a 50 percent cancellation fee.
- Any cancellations received in writing after July 13, 2022, will incur a 100 percent cancellation penalty and the host will be issued no refund of any monies received by ASH for cancellation.
May 31, 2022 11:59 p.m. Pacific time
- Deadline for FSS application submissions.
- Acceptance letters emailed to accepted organizer.
- Following acceptance, please submit registration site links to ASH to post on the website at your earliest convenience, but no later than November 25.
- Cancellation deadline with processing fee of $100. Cancellation after June 14 will be charged 50% penalty.
- Cancellation deadline with only 50% penalty
- Cancellation after July 13 will be charged 100% penalty
- FSS payments and signed letter of agreements due to ASH.
July 2022 (exact date TBD)
- Logistics notification from the FSS portal, including room diagrams and vendor and facility contact information.
- Website opens for FSS organizers to reserve a hotel room block
- Last day to submit listing updates for the 64th ASH Annual Meeting & Exposition program.
- Deadline to assign rooms in hotel block and submit payment for rooms.
- Last day to submit names of additional supporting companies where priority points can be applied.
- Door Drop insert request due. For questions about the specifications of the inserts, please contact Kristin Hudson at 800-564-4220 or [email protected].
October 2022 (exact date TBD)
- FSS informational conference call hosted by ASH and SPARGO to review policies, monitoring process, and logistics.
November 2022 (exact date TBD)
- Program link submission deadline for ASH Virtual Meeting Platform
- Submission deadline for mailing list requests (mailing piece(s) must be pre-approved by ASH). For questions regarding mailing list sales and to place an order, please contact Kristin Hudson at 800-564-4220 or [email protected].
- Submission deadline for A/V, catering, and lead retrieval orders. For more information on lead retrievals please contact 703-995-1800 and [email protected].
- Submission deadline for signage (signage must be pre-approved by ASH).
- Last day to submit listing updates for the ASH website. FSS hosts can make updates here.
- Last day to submit registration site links to ASH to post on the website.
January 31, 2023
- Copy of the one-page summary evaluation and final attendance count must be submitted to Kelly Cade at [email protected] by COB Pacific time.