The Can't-Miss Trainee Events at the 65th ASH Annual Meeting
Note: All events are referenced in Pacific time.
It all starts with THE hematology trainee event of the year! Mark your calendar for ASH-a-Palooza at Petco Park on Friday December 8, 2023, from 12:45 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., followed by the Trainee Welcome Reception from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
ASH-a-Palooza is the best way for all trainees (medical students, residents, fellows, doctoral students, and postdocs) to kick off the ASH annual meeting! From meeting hematology celebrities, to enjoying ballpark bites, to scoring cool ASH swag, there is never a dull moment at ASH-a-Palooza. See below for more info!
After you’re done rockin’ at ASH-a-Palooza, planning the rest of your ASH annual meeting can feel daunting.
Don’t worry! Whether it’s your first annual meeting (or your 50th), we’ve got your back. Dr. Maya Abdallah, current chair of the Council, and Dr. Becky Zon, previous chair of the Trainee Council, are here to share some tips and highlight important events as you plan your conference!
Friday, December 8, 2023
When: 12:45 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Where: Petco Park (ASH Talks will be streaming on the virtual platform)!
- Join us for an afternoon of career-focused talks, including our main stage ASH Talks, 10-minute Blood Drops microlearning talks, and one-on-one Blood Buddies mentoring sessions.
- Things will really heat up at the Blood Wars hematology-themed Jeopardy! game. Want to earn major bragging rights? Sign up for a Blood Wars team by emailing [email protected].
- For trainees attending virtually, ASH Talks will be available for livestreaming on the virtual platform.
Trainee Welcome Reception
When: Immediately following ASH-a-Palooza from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Where: Petco Park outfield
Note: A light dinner will be served!
- When it comes to planning which talks you want to attend during the annual meeting (check out the preliminary 2023 program), Dr. Abdallah recommends that new attendees prioritize Education Program sessions, such as "Are We Personalizing MDS Therapy in 2023?" & "How Do We Apply T-Cell Redirection Therapy for Multiple Myeloma? CAR T-Cells and Bispecific Antibodies." These educational sessions are high-yield introductions to foundational topics within hematology.
Saturday, December 9, 2023
Career Development Lunch Session
When: 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Where: Hilton San Diego Bayfront, Sapphire Ballroom ABCD
- Come join us for a free boxed lunch and the opportunity to meet in small groups with career hematologists across the spectrum, including basic, clinical, and translational researchers, as well as those working in private practice, industry, and government. This is an in-person-only event.
Tip: Check out the poster walk for one of ASH’s new journals: Blood Vessels, Thrombosis & Hemostasis (VTH). This is an in-person-only event.
Sunday, December 10, 2023
ASH Foundation Run-Walk
When: 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m
Where: Race Registration Counter located in ASH Central (San Diego Convention Center, Sails Pavilion)
Tip: Be sure to register in advance (although on site is an option, too)
Trainee Didactic Sessions: 11:15 a.m. to 2:15 p.m
- Each of these career-focused sessions will begin with a short didactic presentation by a panel of hematologists on a practical career-related topic, including career development topics unique to trainees. Learn how to write the best CV, what it means to be an entrepreneur, make the transition from trainee to faculty seamlessly, and gain insight into best practices on giving a scientific presentation.
Announcement of Awards
When: 1:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- This motivating session highlights ASH honorees, including those who have received the Wallace H. Coulter Award for Lifetime Achievement in Hematology, the Award for Leadership in Promoting Diversity, the Mentor Award, and service awards.
Plenary Scientific Sessions
When: 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Blood Neoplasia Poster Walk
When: 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Monday, December 11, 2023
Meet the Blood Editors (for in-person participants)
When: 12:15 p.m. to 1:15 p.m.
Women in Hematology Networking Dinner
When: 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- The networking reception provides a space where all can gather in an informal environment, connect with role models and potential mentors, and become inspired and empowered to overcome the challenges women face in hematology.
Tuesday, December 12, 2023
William Dameshek Prize and Henry M. Stratton Medal Award Announcements
When: 8:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
Late-Breaking Abstracts Session
When: 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
When: 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Best of ASH
When: 12:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
The Trainee Lounge, located in ASH Central (San Diego Convention Center, Sails Pavilion) is a casual space with coffee and snacks where trainees can take a break from the conference bustle and catch up with colleagues. The Trainee Lounge will be open at the following times:
- Saturday, December 9: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m
- Sunday, December 10: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Monday, December 11: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 12: 8:00 a.m. to 2:45 p.m
Important Meeting Tips
- Prior to the meeting, download the official ASH 2023 app to your phone. The app allows you to build a personal calendar for the meeting and see a map of all the locations, including for the trainee-specific events.
- Wear comfortable shoes: Convention centers are huge, and we don’t want blisters to put a damper on your annual meeting experience
- Another quick tip on planning your ASH annual meeting: Ask your mentors if there are specific sessions that they recommend for your area of interest or if there are specific people to meet while at the annual meeting to build your network. These meetings can lead to new study designs and fruitful collaborations!
We’re looking forward to seeing you at ASH-a-Palooza at Petco Park. It's going to be an absolute hit (hopefully a grand slam!!).
Please come up to any Trainee Council member and say hello, and don’t hesitate to reach out to us on X with any questions! Be sure to keep an eye on the ASH trainee website and follow #ASHTrainee on X for updates.
Acknowledgement: This article was edited by Pallawi Torka, MD. Drs. Abdallah and Zon indicated no relevant conflicts of interest.