- Diagnostic Algorithm Reduces the Need for Radiation Exposure to Rule Out Pulmonary Embolism in Pregnant WomenAugust 22, 2019 | Lori-Ann Linkins, MD, MSc(Clin Epi), FRCPC
Dr. Linkins looks at using algorithms based on clinical prediction rules and blood testing for D-dimer level to diagnose pulmonary embolism (PE), thus reducing the need for CTPA in patients with suspected PE.
- Disrupted Nuclear Export of Proteins Drives the Development of B-cell MalignancyAugust 15, 2019 | Nikolaos Sousos, MD, MSc | Adam Mead, MD, PhD
Drs. Sousos and Mead discuss a study that identified specific mutant residues in XPO1 that drive the development of certain B-cell malignancies.
- Is the Future of the Benign Hematology Consult Electronic?August 15, 2019 | Jori May, MD | Stephan Moll, MD
Drs. May and Moll discuss an exciting, promising new approach that maximizes access to nonmalignant hematology expertise: a virtual nonmalignant hematology consultation service, commonly referred to as an electronic consultation or e-consult.
- IgL Translocations for Risk Stratification in Multiple MyelomaAugust 06, 2019 | Ankit K. Dutta, PhD | Elizabeth D. Lightbody, PhD | Romanos Sklavenitis Pistofidis, MD | Irene M. Ghobrial, MD
Drs. Dutta, Lightbody, Sklavenitis-Pistofidis, and Ghobrial discuss a study that shows that translocation of the immunoglobulin gene doesn't just enhance its partner gene expression but impacts patient survival, which suggests that patients with multiple myeloma may benefit from t(IgL) screening at diagnosis.
- Venetoclax for Hypodiploid ALL: Novel Therapy for Bad BiologyAugust 01, 2019 | David T. Teachey, MD
Dr. Teachey looks at venetoclax as a novel therapy for hypodiploid acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), one of the most chemotherapy-refractory subtypes of B-cell ALL.
- Escape Mechanisms in Allosteric IDH InhibitionJuly 26, 2019 | Annette S. Kim, MD, PhD
Dr. Kim discusses mechanisms for evasion of isocitrate dehydrogenase (IDH) inhibition.
- Is It Time for Time-limited Therapy in Frontline CLL?July 25, 2019 | Brad Kahl, MD
Dr. Kahl discusses a study that tests the viability of time-limited therapy to treat patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia requiring first-line treatment.
- Surrogate Endpoints for Cure in DLBCL: Are We There Yet?July 25, 2019 | Caron A. Jacobson, MD
Dr. Jacobson reviews a study that observed relapses in patients with diffuse large b-cell lymphoma treated with immunochemotherapy.
- TARGETing Genetic Drivers of MPN at Single Cell ResolutionJuly 25, 2019 | Jasmin Straube, PhD | Steven Lane, MBBS, PhD, FRACP, FRCPA
Drs. Straube and Lane discuss TARGET-seq, an innovative method that increases single-cell RNA sequencing library complexity, simultaneously characterizing the genotype and phenotype of a heterogeneous population of cancer cells, to help understand the evolution of disease progression.
- Compelling Evidence for Targeted Immunotherapy As Treatment for AMLJuly 24, 2019 | Amanda B. Kagan, MD | Amy DeZern, MD, MHS
Drs. Kagan and DeZern discuss a novel approach to acute myeloid leukemia, particularly in the relapsed setting, that utilizes CD33-targeted CAR-Ts or antibody-drug conjugates coupled with transplantation of engineered stem cells to protect normal hematopoiesis.