- A New Phase II Agent Holds Promise for First FDA Approved Therapy for Treatment of Acute Vaso-Occlusive Pain Events in SCDMarch 01, 2017 | Michael DeBaun, MD, MPH
Dr. DeBaun evaluates a new agent for the prevention of vaso-occlusive pain episodes in sickle cell disease that holds promise for first FDA approval since hydroxyurea.
- Antepartum LMWH is Not the Answer for Most Pregnant Women With a History of Placenta-Mediated ComplicationsMarch 01, 2017 | Lori-Ann Linkins, MD, MSc(Clin Epi), FRCPC
Dr. Linkins discusses a study that supports moving away from conducting thrombophilic work-ups in pregnant women who experience placenta-mediated complications.
- Enhancing CAR T Cell Activity in Follicular Lymphoma: Targeting BTLA Through Engineered Soluble HVEM DeliveryMarch 01, 2017 | Caron A. Jacobson, MD
Dr. Jacobson looks at targeting the b and t lymphocyte attenuator through engineered soluble herpes virus entry mediator delivery.
- Learning to Count Beyond FourMarch 01, 2017 | Jonathan Hoggatt, PhD
Dr. Hoggatt discusses hematopoietic stem cells' capacity for lifelong production of blood cells as well as the ability to count the number of self-renewal divisions they have undergone, and have a maximal limit of four.
- Masitinib Offers a Novel Treatment for the Symptoms Associated With Systemic MastocytosisMarch 01, 2017 | Paul Moss, PhD
Dr. Moss reviews the first phase III randomized study in systemic mastocytosis (SM), focusing attention on the unmet need of patients with indolent forms of SM who have refractory mediator symptoms despite the use of conventional medications.
- Peripheral Blood Genomic Interrogation in Myeloma: Developing a Blood Biopsy to Replace the Bone Marrow BiopsyMarch 01, 2017 | Noopur Raje, MD | Andrew J. Yee, MD | Jens G. Lohr, MD, PhD
Drs. Raje, Yee, and Lohr discuss the development of a new tool for exploring the complexity of multiple myeloma through circulating myeloma cells, which could replace bone marrow biopsies and permits analysis to be performed at multiple time points.
- Testosterone Therapy: Risk Factor for Venous Thromboembolism?March 01, 2017 | Stephan Moll, MD
Dr. Moll reviews testosterone therapy in patients diagnosed with VTE as a contributing VTE risk factor.
- The Epitranscriptome in Leukemia: A Role for the N6-Methyladenosine RNA Demethylase FTO in Acute Myeloid LeukemiaMarch 01, 2017 | Omar Abdel-Wahab, MD
Dr. Abdel-Wahab studies the role of the epitranscriptome in the context of normal and malignant hematopoiesis.
- Where and When Did it All Go Wrong? Deciphering the Molecular Pathophysiology of Disease Progression in MDSMarch 01, 2017 | Sioban Keel, MD
Dr. Keel reviews a study that looks at how distinct molecular events affect MDS disease progression, suggesting that screening for specific mutations might be useful to predict clinical outcome.
- Relapsed CLL: A Problem, Not Yet SolvedFebruary 15, 2017 | Andrew Roberts, MBBS, PhD, FRACP, FRCPA
Dr. Roberts reviews two studies that demonstrate that challenges remain regarding therapy of CLL in patients at higher risk for relapse as well as those who experience progression on a kinase inhibitor.