- Flipping in the Plasma MembraneNovember 18, 2014 | Pete Lollar, MD
Dr. Lollar reviews a study that used a gene-trapping strategy4 to identify and characterize flippase function in mammalian cells.
- HIF and Hemoglobin in the HimalayasNovember 18, 2014 | Jason Gotlib, MD, MS
Dr. Gotlib reviews a multicenter collaboration that uncovered the genetic mechanism protecting Tibetan highlanders from polycythemia.
- Lucky 13November 18, 2014 | Gregory M. Vercellotti, MD
Dr. Vercellotti reviews a study demonstrating that FXIII is critical for RBC retention within clots, with implications for preventing or limiting the extent of venous thrombosis.
- The Fountain of Youth for
Aging Stem CellsNovember 18, 2014 | Joe Huang, MD | Pamela S. Becker, MD, PhD
Drs. Huang and Becker review a study suggesting that replication stress contributes to the chromosomal damage and functional decline characteristic of old HSCs.
- Targeting Bromodomain Proteins in DLBCLNovember 03, 2014 | Ann S. LaCasce, MD, MSc
Dr. LaCasce examines how targeting bromodomain proteins is effective in the treatment of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma.
- When Stem-Cell Transplantation Becomes Preventive Medicine: Early Diagnosis and Treatment of Primary ImmunodeficienciesOctober 22, 2014 | Peter Kurre, MD | Eneida Nemecek, MD, MPH, MBA
Drs. Nemecek and Kurre examine the role stem-cell transplantation plays in early treatment of inherited immunodeficiencies.
- Epigenetic Therapy Holds Promise for G6PD-Deficient Patients and Malaria Elimination StrategiesSeptember 26, 2014 | Theresa Coetzer, PhD
Dr. Coetzer views how epigenetic therapy might be applied to eliminate malaria and serve G6PD-Deficient Patients.
- Heme-Regulated Differentiation of Monocytes to Macrophages Reveals Interconnections of Hemolysis, Iron Metabolism, and Macrophage DifferentiationSeptember 26, 2014 | Mark J. Koury, MD
Dr. Koury looks at the role of heme-regulated differentiation on monocytes and macrophages in hemolsysis, iron metabolism, and macrophage differentiation.