- The Year's Best in Sickle Cell Disease: A Global Perspective on Pregnancy in 2019January 07, 2020 | January-February 2020, Volume 17, Issue 1
Dr. Zaidi and Dr. Osunkwo discuss efforts in 2019 to patch the gaps in our knowledge and understanding relating to both maternal and fetal management and outcomes of pregnancy in sickle cell disease.
- Voxelotor: Changing the Disease by Changing the ConformationOctober 23, 2019 | November-December 2019, Volume 16, Issue 6
Drs. Wilson, Monahan, Little, and Osunkwo discuss a trial that tests voxelotor, a new disease-modifying therapy being considered for sickle cell disease.
- To Breathe or Not to Breathe... Does It Matter for SCD VOC?August 06, 2019 | September-October 2019, Volume 16, Issue 5
Dr. Osunkwo reviews a study that will explore the impact of continuous positive airway pressure on improving rates of vaso-occlusive crisis as well as several biologic parameters of disease severity in individuals with SCD and comorbid obstructive sleep apnea.
- Poorer Pain Control With Normal Saline Bolus in Children With Sickle Cell Acute Vaso-Occlusive PainJune 18, 2019 | July-August 2019, Volume 16, Issue 4
Dr. Osunkwo reviews a study that challenges the belief that normal saline boluses are the best option to treat acute vaso-occlusive pain in sickle cell disease.
- Could Lullabies and Bedtime Stories Help Youth With SCD Have Less Pain?April 15, 2019 | May-June 2019, Volume 16, Issue 3
Dr. Osunkwo explores the bidirectional relationship between age, sleep, and pain in youth with sickle cell disease.
- Hydroxyurea for Children With Sickle Cell Anemia in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Child That Comes and Goes Away Can Come to Stay With HydroxyureaFebruary 07, 2019 | March-April 2019, Volume 16, Issue 2
Dr. Osunkwo discusses the REACH Trial, which demonstrates the safety and efficacy of hydroxyurea use among children in four sub-Saharan African countries, and its implications for treating sickle cell disease.