- Pressing PAUSE on Direct Oral Anticoagulants for Patients With Atrial Fibrillation Who Require Invasive ProceduresOctober 17, 2019 | November-December 2019, Volume 16, Issue 6
Dr. Linkins discusses a study that evaluated the safety of a standardized perioperative management strategy for patients with atrial fibrillation taking direct oral anticoagulants who required elective surgery or procedure.
- Diagnostic Algorithm Reduces the Need for Radiation Exposure to Rule Out Pulmonary Embolism in Pregnant WomenAugust 22, 2019 | September-October 2019, Volume 16, Issue 5
Dr. Linkins looks at using algorithms based on clinical prediction rules and blood testing for D-dimer level to diagnose pulmonary embolism (PE), thus reducing the need for CTPA in patients with suspected PE.
- Superficial Thrombophlebitis: The Less Dangerous Cousin of Deep Vein Thrombosis That Can Still Cause HarmMay 22, 2019 | July-August 2019, Volume 16, Issue 4
Dr. Linkins provides recommendations for treating superficial thrombophlebitis including whether anticoagulants are appropriate based on the risk of progression into the deep venous system.
- Thrombolysis for Acute Pulmonary Embolism Is Not One-Size-Fits-AllApril 10, 2019 | May-June 2019, Volume 16, Issue 3
Dr. Linkins discusses the use of thrombolysis for treatment of pulmonary embolism in patients with bleeding risk.
- Treatment of Renally Impaired Patients With Venous Thromboembolism: Awaiting the VERDICTFebruary 13, 2019 | March-April 2019, Volume 16, Issue 2
Dr. Linkins discusses the VERDICT Trial which compares reduced doses of apixaban and rivaroxaban with standard-of-care in adult patients with symptomatic proximal deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism and moderate or severe renal insufficiency.
- Rivaroxaban Clinical Trials in 2018: Successes, Failures, and Lessons LearnedDecember 21, 2018 | January-February 2019, Volume 16, Issue 1
Dr. Linkins discusses the successes, failures, and lessons from rivaroxaban clinical trials that took place in 2018.
- Prevention of Central Venous Catheter-Related Thrombosis: Reality or Still a Dream?October 10, 2018 | November-December 2018, Volume 15, Issue 6
Dr. Linkins discusses low-molecular weight heparin and direct oral anticoagulants for the prevention of central venous catheter-related thrombosis.
- Venous Thrombosis on One Side and Bleeding on the Other: How to Walk the Fence in Cancer Patients With Thrombosis and ThrombocytopeniaAugust 15, 2018 | September-October 2018, Volume 15, Issue 5
Dr. Linkins provides guidance on how to manage recurrent thrombosis and bleeding in a cancer patient with severe thrombocytopenia that develops VTE.
- Ground-Breaking Trial Shows Aspirin Is As Effective As Rivaroxaban Following Hip and Knee ArthroplastyJune 19, 2018 | July-August 2018, Volume 15, Issue 4
Dr. Linkins looks at evidence that demonstrates that aspirin is as effective as oral anticoagulant rivaroxaban post hip and knee arthroplasty in a significant subset of patients.
- Therapeutic Instead of Prophylactic Platelet Transfusions for Autologous Stem Cell Transplant Patients: Ready for Prime Time?April 03, 2018 | May-June 2018, Volume 15, Issue 3
Dr. Linkins reviews revised clinical practice guidelines for platelet transfusions in patients with cancer, focusing on patients undergoing AHSCT as an exemption to the general rule to provide prophylactic platelet transfusions to those undergoing cancer treatment.