The copyright permission request process outlined below only applies to articles published in The Hematologist. If you would like to request permission to use material from Hematology, the ASH Education Program, please submit a request through the Copyright Clearance Center.
Material published in The Hematologist: ASH News and Reports is covered by copyright. All rights reserved. The American Society of Hematology (ASH), the publisher of The Hematologist, expects that you will respect its intellectual property rights and use its material solely as permitted by Sections 107 or 108 of U.S. Copyright Law (Fair Use). For permission to use material from The Hematologist beyond what is permitted by Sections 107 or 108 of U.S. Copyright Law, please refer to the following guidelines. If you have any questions regarding our rights and permissions policies, or if you have a special request that is not covered by these general guidelines, please contact Juana Llorens, Managing Editor for The Hematologist, by email or at 202-776-0544.
Authors Reusing Their Own Work
Important notice: Authors retain certain non-exclusive copyrights.
Authors may do the following after their article has been published in The Hematologist:
- Reprint the article in print collections of the author's own writing.
- Present the work orally in its entirety.
- Use the article in theses and/or dissertations.
- Reproduce the article for use in courses the author is teaching. (If the author is employed by an academic institution, that institution may also reproduce the article for course teaching.)
- Distribute photocopies of the article to colleagues, but only for non-commercial purposes.
- Reuse figures and tables created by the author in future works the author writes.
- Post a copy of the article on the author's personal Web site, departmental Web site and/or the university's intranet, provided a hyperlink to the article on the ASH Web site is included.
In all instances above, the author must give proper credit to the original publication in The Hematologist as follows: "This research was originally published in The Hematologist: ASH News and Reports. Author(s). Title. The Hematologist: ASH News and Reports. Year;Vol,Issue:pp-pp. © the American Society of Hematology." For all other uses, permission from the American Society of Hematology is required.
Authors Using the Works of Others
These are requests to republish material from an article in The Hematologist in a new work. You must specify the exact material you wish to use and the intended use. Please complete Part A of the permissions request form and submit to ASH as noted below. A full citation of the article in The Hematologist must be included with the reproduced materials as noted on the permissions request form.
These are requests to photocopy an article in The Hematologist beyond what is permitted by U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to make photocopies for outside distribution, please complete Part A of the permissions request form and submit to ASH as noted below.
Important Terms and Conditions (only applies to outside distribution):
- A full citation of the article in The Hematologist must be included with the reproduced materials as noted on the permissions request form.
- Photocopies of The Hematologist articles may not be bound with product advertising or other marketing materials.
- Photocopies of The Hematologist articles may be bound with other organizations' published materials as long as no product advertising or other marketing materials are included.
Translation and Reprint Rights
ASH permits articles in The Hematologist to be translated into foreign languages and reprinted for distribution, on a non-exclusive basis. For further information, please contact Juana Llorens, Managing Editor for The Hematologist, by email or at 202-776-0544.
Important Terms and Conditions:
- Requester is responsible for the completeness and the accuracy of the translation.
- Nothing may be added to or deleted from the original text, figures, references, or editorial notes.
- No product advertising or company logos will be permitted in the foreign-language reprints. No content that was not originally published as part of the article may be printed together with the article as one printed piece. A tracking number for inventory purposes may be printed on the back of the reprints, but nowhere else.
- If any attachments, such as product information, are to be distributed with the reprinted article, the following method only can be used: Insert product information into reprint as a loose leaf.
- ASH reserves the right to inspect the content and the packaging for the foreign-language translation of The Hematologist article prior to distribution.
- We require that you send us three copies of the reprints once they are printed.
- The following disclaimer must be included on the back of all reprints (in English and the language of the reprint): "Copyright American Society of Hematology. Reprinted with permission from the American Society of Hematology, which does not endorse any particular uses of this document. The American Society of Hematology is not responsible for the completeness or the accuracy of this information."
Instructions for Submitting a Permissions Request Form
Please complete Part A of the permissions request form and email it to Juana Llorens, Managing Editor for The Hematologist. A permissions fee of $30 will be charged for each request. Please send your check to the address below:
PO Box 791210
Baltimore, MD 21279-1210
Before submitting the permissions request form, please check that all requested information has been included. Any omission may cause a delay in processing your request. We will return a signed copy of this form to you after your request has been reviewed and invoice you for the $30 permissions fee.
The material published in The Hematologist is for informational purposes only. The opinions of the authors and editors of The Hematologist are their own and do not necessarily represent official policy of the American Society of Hematology. ASH does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, or opinions, and disclaims any representation, warranty, or guaranty as to the same. Reliance on any information provided in this publication is solely at your own risk.
back to top