- Targeted Therapy to Trigger GVL: A Case for the Prosecution in FLT3-ITD–Mutant AMLMay 02, 2018 | Andrew Roberts, MBBS, PhD, FRACP, FRCPA
Dr. Roberts sheds light on a mechanism by which a small molecule inhibitor targeting a leukemia-specific kinase mutation can trigger an effective CD8 T cell-mediated allo-immune response that leads to durable leukemia control.
- BETting on Targeted Therapy for ASXL1-mutated Myeloid NeoplasmsApril 26, 2018 | Annette S. Kim, MD, PhD
Dr. Kim discusses a study that shows a critical link between ASXL1 truncation mutations and a novel therapeutic avenue employing BET bromodomain inhibitors through their demonstration of gain of altered ASXL1 function.
- In Vivo and In-stantaneous Production of Chimeric Antigen Receptor T Cells: Overcoming Treatment DelaysApril 26, 2018 | Caron A. Jacobson, MD
Dr. Jacobson discusses in vivo and instantaneous production of chimeric antigen receptor T cells as a way to overcome potentially rate-limiting manufacturing times needed for current ex vivo technologies.
- Management of Heavy Menstrual Bleeding on AnticoagulationApril 25, 2018
Dr. Moll and Dr. Abajas discuss the main management points of heavy menstrual bleeding in female patients of childbearing age on anticoagulation.
- Germline Mutations in a Cohort of Inherited Marrow Failure Patients: A Varied LandscapeApril 12, 2018 | Sioban Keel, MD
Dr. Keel reviews work that expands our understanding of the inherited genetic underpinnings of marrow failure and hematologic malignancy predisposition.
- The Importance of Genomic Testing in Children With Complex Autoimmune Cytopenias: Precision Medicine Is Not Just for CancerApril 12, 2018 | David T. Teachey, MD
Dr. Teachey discusses the importance of comprehensive genomic testing in children and young adults with multilineage autoimmune cytopenias or chronic single-lineage autoimmune cytopenias with recurrent infections, lymphoproliferation, or autoimmune disease in other organ systems.
- JAK2V617F Mutations Promote PD-L1 Expression to Mediate Immune Escape in Myeloproliferative NeoplasmsApril 04, 2018 | Omar Abdel-Wahab, MD
Dr. Abdel-Wahab looks at a study that evaluates the efficacy of PD-1 inhibition in myeloproliferative neoplasms, focusing on how JAK2 mutations affect PD-L1 expression.
- Professionalism and the Written Word: Attitudes and Words Matter in Medical Care for Adults With SCDApril 04, 2018 | Michael DeBaun, MD, MPH
Dr. DeBaun highlights the importance of our words and actions when dealing with adult patients with sickle cell disease and the need to correct written and oral language that stigmatizes patients with vaso-occlusive pain.
- Therapeutic Instead of Prophylactic Platelet Transfusions for Autologous Stem Cell Transplant Patients: Ready for Prime Time?April 03, 2018 | Lori-Ann Linkins, MD, MSc(Clin Epi), FRCPC
Dr. Linkins reviews revised clinical practice guidelines for platelet transfusions in patients with cancer, focusing on patients undergoing AHSCT as an exemption to the general rule to provide prophylactic platelet transfusions to those undergoing cancer treatment.
- Immunotherapy in Multiple Myeloma: The Era of CAR T Cell TherapyApril 02, 2018
Dr. Ghobrial and Dr. Mouhieddine discuss the field of immunotherapy in multiple myeloma, specifically the use of CAR T cell therapy.