- Farming Hematopoietic Stem CellsAugust 23, 2017
Dr. Hoggatt, Dr. Rhee and Dr. Mercier cover efforts to grow red blood cells, platelets, cancer-killing T-cells and many other cell and tissue types to treat patients, specifically growing enough hematopoietic stem cells.
- Abrogating Early Treatment Resistance in Early T-cell Precursor Acute Lymphoblastic LeukemiaAugust 14, 2017 | Elizabeth Raetz, MD
Dr. Raetz looks at a study that shows response-based therapy in both children and adults with ETP-ALL is effective.
- Another Myth About Sickle Cell Trait Bites the DustAugust 14, 2017 | Michael DeBaun, MD, MPH
Dr. DeBaun reviews studies that bust the myth that sickle cell trait is associated with common medical morbidities.
- Better Accuracy for the Laboratory Detection of HIT Antibodies Using IgG-specific ELISA AssaysAugust 14, 2017
Dr. George and Dr. Marlar discuss the use of IgG-specific ELISA assays to more accurately detect HIT antibodies.
- CHIP and Coronary Heart Disease: Clonal Hematopoiesis Increases AtherosclerosisAugust 14, 2017 | Andrew Roberts, MBBS, PhD, FRACP, FRCPA
Dr. Roberts looks at a study that confirms that clonal hematopoiesis with single mutations is associated with increased risk of coronary heart disease.
- Combining PD-1 Inhibition With Pemalidomide for Relapsed/Refractory Multiple MyelomaAugust 14, 2017
Dr. Raje and Dr. O'Donnell discuss the combination of monoclonal antibody therapies targeting the PD-1 receptor with approved therapies such as pomalidomide to treat multiple myeloma.
- Primary Central Nervous System and Testicular Lymphoma: From Genes to Action in One YearAugust 14, 2017 | Caron A. Jacobson, MD
Dr. Jacobson takes a look at advances in genomic technology and in the understanding of primary central nervous system lymphoma and primary testicular lymphoma, which have shortened the time from discovery of pathologic events to delivering treatment.
- Things Are Not Always What They Seem: Marrow Failure From a Hematopoietic Cell-Extrinsic Mechanism Due to Germline Mutations in ThrombopoietinAugust 14, 2017 | Sioban Keel, MD
Dr. Keel reviews a study that shows that patients with germline THPO mutations resulting in marrow failure do not benefit from stem cell transplantation, but instead respond to thrombopoietin mimetic therapy.
- Tranexamic Acid: Another Tool for Treatment of Postpartum HemorrhageAugust 14, 2017 | Lori-Ann Linkins, MD, MSc(Clin Epi), FRCPC
Dr. Linkins reviews the WOMAN study, which demonstrates the usefulness of tranexamic acid to reduce maternal mortality due to postpartum hemorrhage.