- An Unequal Inheritance by Daughter B CellsJuly 01, 2012 | Pete Lollar, MD
Dr. Pete Lollar reviews a study that raises the question of why it would be advantageous for the
immune system to distribute antigen asymmetrically during B-cell
- Blood From a Stone; Erythropoietin From the BoneJuly 01, 2012
Blood From a Stone Erythropoietin From the BoneDrs. Krause and Halene indicated no relevant conflicts of interest. Rankin EB, Wu C, Khatri R, et al. The HIF signaling pathway in osteoblasts directly modulates erythropoiesis through the production of EPO. Cell.
- Engineering AML-Targeted T CellsJuly 01, 2012 | Peter Kurre, MD
Dr. Peter Kurre reviews a study that indicates progress in predicting how edited T cells will perform in patient trials.
- Estimating the Price of ProgressJuly 01, 2012 | Xavier Leleu, MD, PhD
Estimating the Price of ProgressDr. Leleu indicated no relevant conflicts of interest. Dimopoulos MA, Richardson PG , Brandenburg N, et al. A review of second primary malignancy in patients with relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma treated with lenalidomide. Blood. 2012
- Genetic Horizon Scanning in Large B-Cell LymphomaJuly 01, 2012 | Peter Johnson, MD
Dr. Peter Johnson reviews one of three recent studies that used whole-exome sequence analysis to map the mutational landscape in DLBCL.
- Greened and Gleaned Renal Erythropoietin-Producing Cells Provide Insight into Physiological Control of Erythropoietin ProductionJuly 01, 2012 | Mark J. Koury, MD
Dr. Mark Koury reviews a study that indicates that the renal cells responsible for the large majority of circulating erythropoietin (EPO) have a complex regulation of Epo transcription by Hif2α and Hif3α at HREs other than the canonical 3'-HRE.
- Microenvironment-Induced Genomic Instability in Multiple MyelomaJuly 01, 2012 | Kenneth C. Anderson, MD
Microenvironment Induced Genomic Instability in Multiple MyelomaDr. Anderson indicated no relevant conflicts of interest. Koduru S, Wong E, Strowig T, et al. Dendritic cellmediated activation induced cytidine deaminase (AID) dependent induction of genomic instability in human myeloma. Blood. 2012 119
- Moving Beyond Elementary Mathematics in Acute Myeloid LeukemiaJuly 01, 2012
Moving Beyond Elementary Mathematics in Acute Myeloid LeukemiaDrs. Steensma and Ebert indicated no relevant conflicts of interest. Patel JP, Gönen M, Figueroa ME, et al. Prognostic relevance of integrated genetic profiling in acute myeloid leukemia. N Engl J Med. 2012
- The BIM You're Born With: A Germline Biomarker for Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor ResistanceJuly 01, 2012 | Jason Gotlib, MD, MS
Dr. Jason Gotlib discusses how the discovery of an inherited BIM polymorphism that confers resistance to TKI
therapy in CML and NSCLC likely has applicability in the pathobiology of other
leukemias and solid tumors. This seminal finding imparts prognostic utility by
identifying patients who may exhibit relatively less responsiveness to
- The Enemy of My Enemy: Inhibiting TFPI in HemophiliaJuly 01, 2012 | Robert Flaumenhaft, MD, PhD
The Enemy of My Enemy Inhibiting TFPI in HemophiliaDr. Flaumenhaft indicated no relevant conflicts of interest. Maroney, SA, Cooley BC, Ferrel, JP et al. Absence of hematopoietic tissue factor pathway inhibitor mitigates bleeding in mice with hemophilia. Proc Natl Acad