- Time to Retire the Old IMiD Mechanism of Action SlideApril 22, 2014
Dr. David Kurtz and Dr. Jason Gotlib review a study that reveals that molecules otherwise considered undruggable, represents a novel therapeutic paradigm that has emerged from the story of the relationship between IMiDs, cereblon, and IKZF1/IKZF3.
- Another Reason to Eat More Apples and Whole Grain: How Inflammation and Hematopoiesis are Affected by Dietary Fiber and GI MicrobesApril 21, 2014 | Gregory M. Vercellotti, MD
Dr. Gregory Vercellotti reviews a study demonstrates the impact that dietary fermentable fibers have on the intestinal microbiome, allergic/immune reactions, and bone marrow function.
- JAK-STAT Signaling Goes Bad in Primary Mediastinal LymphomaApril 21, 2014 | Peter Johnson, MD
Dr. Peter Johnson reviews a study has used whole-genome sequencing as the starting point for the identification of a previously unsuspected mutation target that is altered in a significant number of cases of both primary mediastinal B-cell lymphoma and Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Lessons From the Liver: Rebalanced Hemostasis in Immune ThrombocytopeniaApril 21, 2014 | Charles T. Quinn, MD, MS
Dr. Charles Quinn reviews a study that discovered an association between high von Willebrand factor antigen levels (in 8/20 patients) and improved thromboelastographic measurements that might account for a decreased
tendency toward bleeding.
- The Fate of Hematopoietic Nuclei: Major Roles for Lamins Before and After Marrow ReleaseApril 21, 2014 | Mark J. Koury, MD
Dr. Mark Koury reviews a study that suggests that increased nuclear rigidity contributes both to the loss of circulating lymphocytes in lamin-B receptor-deficient mice and to the impaired chemotactic migration associated with the Pelger–Huet anomaly that is a consequence of mutant lamin B receptors in humans.
- A Hereditary Bleeding Disorder Reveals a New Cog in the Coagulation MechanismApril 15, 2014 | Pete Lollar, MD
Dr. Pete Lollar reviews a study that has identified an important new mechanisms underlying FV and TFPIα biology in the regulation of coagulation.
- Clots, Pumps, and Stockings – Do We Need to Update the Lower Extremity Dress Code?April 11, 2014 | David Garcia, MD
Dr. David Garcia reviews two recent publications that provide important evidence
about the effectiveness of elastic compression stockings (ECSs) and intermittent pneumatic
compression (IPC) devices in two different settings.
- Genome Forensics Reveal Origins and the Mechanism that Drives t(12;21) Childhood B-ALLApril 11, 2014
Drs. Kelsie Storm and Peter Kurre review a study that provides a detailed genetic fingerprint of ETV6-RUNX1 B-ALL, revealing RAG-mediated deletions as the driver of leukemogenesis.
- Unlocking the Mysteries of AITLApril 11, 2014 | Ann S. LaCasce, MD, MSc
Dr. Ann LaCasce reviews a study that raise the exciting possibility of novel therapeutic approaches in angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma.