- A Stealthy Gene Therapy VirusMarch 01, 2014 | Pete Lollar, MD
Dr. Pete Lollar reviews a study in which the authors have identified a defense mechanism in which FX enhances virus survival by inhibiting attack by natural antibodies and complement.
- Can Genetic Testing Improve Outcomes in Patients Who Take Vitamin K Antagonists?March 01, 2014
Dr. Bethany Samuelson and Dr. David Garcia review three sufficiently powered clinical studies that are designed to test whether genotype-guided dosing improves TTR or clinical outcomes have been lacking.
- Conversion of Renal Erythropoietin-Producing Cells to Myofibroblasts: A Single Mechanism for Both Anemia and Fibrosis in Kidney DiseaseMarch 01, 2014 | Mark J. Koury, MD
Dr. Mark Koury reviews a study that demonstrates, in short-term, the fibroblast-like interstitial cells that produce the majority of erythropoietin in the body are not destroyed as a consequence of renal inflammation, but rather they are
transformed into myofibroblasts that cause fibrosis and scarring in chronic kidney disease.
- El Dorado Found: Calreticulin Mutations in JAK2 V617F-Negative MPN sMarch 01, 2014
Dr. Mark Chao and Dr. Jason Gotlib review two studies unearth another highly recurrent mutation in MPN patients, eight years after the discovery of JAK2 V617F.
- Fanconi Anemia Bone Marrow Stem Cells: Innately ComplexMarch 01, 2014 | Peter Kurre, MD
Dr. Peter Kurre reviews a recent study that provides a new perspective on the basis of bone barrow failure in Fanconi anemia.
- Inhibiting Platelets to Treat a Disorder of HemoglobinMarch 01, 2014 | Charles T. Quinn, MD, MS
Dr. Charles Quinn reviews a study that provides a rationale for studying anti-platelet agents in the treatment if SCD.
- Latency No Longer a Haven for Epstein-Barr VirusMarch 01, 2014 | Ann S. LaCasce, MD, MSc
Dr. Ann LaCasce reviews a recently developed technique that generates
EBV antigen-specific CTLs that can be used to treat both latency II- and latency III-expressing lymphomas represents a major advance
in the field of immunotherapy.
- The Great EscapeMarch 01, 2014 | Pamela S. Becker, MD, PhD
Dr. Pamela Becker reviews a study that investigated tumor-antigen expression and cytokine production during progression from MRD to frank relapse.
- Unlocking Host Immunity to LymphomaMarch 01, 2014 | Peter Johnson, MD
Dr. Peter Johnson reviews two recent studies that investigate the clinical efficacy of anti-PD 1 therapy.