- 4-Panel Assay May Reverse LAC of Antiphospholipid Antibody DetectionNovember 01, 2013 | Margaret V. Ragni, MD, MPH
Dr. Ragni reviews recent data the brings into question two current ISTH recommendations regarding LAC testing.
- Decreased Erythropoiesis in Iron Deficiency: A Key Role for IRP 1 Regulation of HI F2…November 01, 2013 | Mark J. Koury, MD
Dr. Mark Koury summarizes a recent study that demonstrates that IRP1 suppression of HIF2α mRNA translation during iron deficiency and treatment of polycythemia vera by phlebotomy-induced, iron-restricted erythopoiesis.
- Follicular Lymphoma Cells Spin a Web of ImmunosuppressionNovember 01, 2013 | Peter Johnson, MD
Dr. Peter Johnson summarizes recent research that provides some interesting mechanistic data about the differences between normal and malignant lymph nodes and the interplay of B and T cells.
- Immune Whispering: Safely Harnessing the GVL Effect Using VaccinationNovember 01, 2013
Dr. Dubovsky and Dr. Byrd explain an important study that documents the safety and potential efficacy of a vaccine strategy in the post-allogenic stem cell transplantation setting.
- New Studies Connect Coagulation and Inflammation to the Pathophysiology of Cerebral Malaria Through a Common MechanismNovember 01, 2013 | Gregory M. Vercellotti, MD
Dr. Gregory Vercellotti summarizes an article about the potential mechanisms by which P. falciparum interactions with EPCR contribute to the pathophysiology of CM.
- Plasma Sampling Provides a Window for Real-Time Detection of Evolving Chemotherapy Drug ResistanceNovember 01, 2013 | Pamela S. Becker, MD, PhD
Dr. Becker reviews an article that explains a new technical advance of plasma ctDNA mutation analysis that allows real-time detection of evolving cancer clones, which possess the genetic change that confer drug resistance.
- The Consequences of Failing to Obey the Traffic RulesNovember 01, 2013 | Jason Gotlib, MD, MS
Dr. Jason Gotlib summarizes recent research in which two groups of investigators have identified an immunodeficiency syndrome linked to mutation of VPS45, one of the endocytic pathway vacuolar-sorting proteins found in neutrophils.
- We'll Get Practice Pronouncing Schinzel Giedion: Somatic SET BP1 Mutations in Myeloid NeoplasmsNovember 01, 2013 | David P. Steensma, MD
Dr. Steensma reviews new studies that reveals that SETBP1 mutations are present in a percent of secondary AML (sAML) and some CMML cases in the Makishima series and in a percentage of patients with the pediatric MDS/MPN juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia (JMML) in the Sakaguchi cohort.
- What is the Optimal Minimal?November 01, 2013 | Xavier Leleu, MD, PhD
Dr. Leleu reviews the recent results of analysis of MRD in patients with multiple myeloma.