- Yet Another Complication of Sickle Cell Disease: High Incidence of Venous Thromboembolism and Its Association With Earlier DeathOctober 10, 2017 | November-December 2017, Volume 14, Issue 6
Dr. DeBaun reviews the risk of venous thromboembolism for children and adults with sickle cell disease.
- Another Myth About Sickle Cell Trait Bites the DustAugust 14, 2017 | September-October 2017, Volume 14, Issue 5
Dr. DeBaun reviews studies that bust the myth that sickle cell trait is associated with common medical morbidities.
- Cautiously Optimistic About Gene Therapy in Sickle Cell Disease: A New Arrow in the Quiver for CureJuly 01, 2017 | July-August 2017, Volume 14, Issue 4
Dr. DeBaun sheds light on how gene therapy provides a new option for curing sickle cell disease, a disease which, so far, only has one FDA-approved disease-modifying agent.
- Another Therapeutic Agent in the Pipeline for Preventing Acute Vaso-Occlusive Events in Sickle Cell DiseaseMay 01, 2017 | May-June 2017, Volume 14, Issue 3
Dr. DeBaun looks at experiments using ARQ 092 as a possible therapeutic agent for preventing acute vaso-occlusive events in sickle cell disease.
- A New Phase II Agent Holds Promise for First FDA Approved Therapy for Treatment of Acute Vaso-Occlusive Pain Events in SCDMarch 01, 2017 | March-April 2017, Volume 14, Issue 2
Dr. DeBaun evaluates a new agent for the prevention of vaso-occlusive pain episodes in sickle cell disease that holds promise for first FDA approval since hydroxyurea.
- The Year's Best in Sickle Cell DiseaseJanuary 01, 2017 | January-February 2017, Volume 14, Issue 1
Dr. DeBaun covers updates in the treatment of sickle cell disease that have come about during 2016 and discusses the potential availability of a new therapy for the prevention of vaso-occlusive pain episodes in adults with SCD.
- Universal Precautions Help Decrease Rate of Exercise-Related Death in Patient With Sickle Cell TraitOctober 28, 2016 | November-December 2016, Volume 13, Issue 6
Dr. DeBaun talks about the need for further research in efforts to update and implement universal procedures to prevent unnecessary death and acute illness for college and high school athletes with SCD.
- Confirming a Reasonable Next Step for HSCT in Children with HemoglobinopathiesAugust 12, 2016 | September-October 2016, Volume 13, Issue 5
Dr. DeBaun looks at a trial that provides reasonable data for advancing the care of children with hemoglobinopathies, while highlighting the need for further study.
- When Is a Negative Phase III Trial Positive in Sickle Cell Anemia?June 14, 2016 | July-August 2016, Volume 13, Issue 4
Dr. DeBaun discusses a study for an antiplatelet agent with the goal of reducing the severity and frequency of severe, acute vaso-occlusive pain in SCD patients.
- Comparing Outcomes for Young Adults with Severe SCD Treated with HLA-Identical Sibling and Matched Unrelated HCT versus Standard Supportive CareApril 14, 2016 | May-June 2016, Volume 13, Issue 3
Dr. Stimpson and Dr. DeBaun look at a trial that evaluates research for HCT in severe sickle cell disease using HLA-identical siblings and unrelated donors for HCT compared with standard care due to the absence of a suitable donor.