The 2017 ASH Annual Meeting will take place December 9-12, 2017, in Atlanta. ASH's media registration and press policies provide editors, reporters, and health/medical writers with information about the Society's rules and regulations regarding attendance and coverage of the annual meeting.
ASH welcomes all media who are employed by accredited news organizations to apply for complimentary media credentials to cover the 2017 ASH Annual Meeting.
Media registration for the 2017 ASH Annual Meeting is open and will close on Wednesday, December 6. On-site media registration is not available.Register now
The following benefits are offered to credentialed members of the media for the 2017 ASH Annual Meeting:
- Complimentary annual meeting registration
- Access to embargoed online press kit materials, in addition to annual meeting abstracts
- Admission to press briefings
- One-on-one interview opportunities
- Admission to all non-ticketed ASH sessions
- Access to press working room and interview rooms*
- Permission to film in the convention center
*Please note: Access to the press working room and interview rooms is based on room capacity limits to ensure compliance with convention center safety rules.
Media must submit registration requests for the 2017 ASH Annual Meeting via the online registration portal. Badges allowing access to the press working room will be granted on a first-come, first-served basis and will be limited to two representatives per outlet unless otherwise noted. You are encouraged to complete the media registration process as early as possible if you require access to the press working room. Media registration will not be offered on site, and media requesting credentials must provide all necessary documentation prior to the meeting.
ASH considers an accredited news organization to be one that features original, editorial news coverage, that has editorial freedom from advertisers and/or sponsors, and in which advertisers and/or sponsors are clearly identified as such. To be eligible, applicants must write exclusively for the news organization that has provided the letter of assignment, unless otherwise noted. Media who do not write for their credentialed outlet and instead misuse their access on behalf of other publications not disclosed in the media registration request may have their media credentials revoked and access to future ASH meetings denied.
Once requested, the following materials must be provided for verification:
- Letter verifying assignment to the 2017 ASH Annual Meeting on the letterhead of the news organization being represented
- Three bylined hematology/oncology-related articles or produced video/broadcast clips published within the last year, or coverage from last year’s ASH annual meeting, if applicable
- Media identification such as an international, accredited press pass or an official media-outlet-issued credential (NOTE: this requirement applies to international media only)
- U.S.-based media must submit items 1 and 2 listed above
- International media must submit items 1, 2, and 3 listed above as well as a copy of the publication (electronic or hard copy)
The following registration requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis:
- Non-Writing Editors: Editorial staff participating in the annual meeting for the sole purpose of providing editorial direction must submit item 1 listed above as well as a copy of the publication (electronic or hard copy) and coverage from last year’s ASH annual meeting, if applicable. If you represent an international media outlet, please also provide a copy of your press pass. If you do not have media identification, then you must provide a masthead of the publication with your name and title.
- Nonprofit or Patient Advocacy Newsletters: Newsletters that are regularly published and primarily cover oncology/hematology related news are eligible to have one journalist credentialed (single-sponsored, investment, corporate, and institutional newsletters do not qualify).
- Documentary film crews and video production companies must submit a written request to email@example.com at least 30 days prior to the annual meeting that includes information about the company, the purpose of attending the annual meeting, synopsis of film/video/documentary project, and information on the editorial/financial supporters of the project.
- Videographers and Crew: Videographers and/or other members of the multimedia team accompanying credentialed news outlets will be limited to three representatives per outlet and must submit written requests to firstname.lastname@example.org including information for the specific role of each crew member and a letter of assignment.
- Online Publications and Bloggers: Journalists reporting for online-only media outlets must work for a news organization or blog that meets the following criteria:
- Must represent an independent website that posts original, editorial news coverage on a regular basis and not just around medical meetings
- Must submit evidence of current hematology/oncology-related content on website that has been published regularly over the past year
- Must have been in continuous operation for at least six months
- Registrants may be asked to submit traffic data (e.g., Google Analytics, etc.)
The following representatives are not eligible for media credentials or access to the 2017 ASH Annual Meeting press working room and related materials:
- Editors, writers, and scientific advisory board members for journals that do not have editorial news sections
- Companies or organizations producing publications, videos, and/or other electronic media intended for internal use, marketing, advertising, financial analysis, or public relations purposes
- Financial analysts
- Sales, advertising, marketing, or public relations personnel
- Representatives from companies that post videos of scientific sessions for medical education purpose of creating continuing medical education (CME) or other commercial content (e.g., webcasts, online or printed educational modules, etc.)
- Representatives from single-sponsored, investment, corporate, and institutional newsletters
- Bloggers who do not publish health news on a regular basis (e.g., company-sponsored blogs in which the blogger is paid to publish posts or content that may be created by advertisers)
Please contact ASH media staff at email@example.com or 202-659-5883 with special requests.back to top
Annual Meeting Policies
Registered media are required to wear the Society's media badge at all times while on site at the annual meeting. All scientific sessions, education sessions, abstract sessions, and special lectures at the annual meeting are open to the media. Entry into sessions requires a badge. In addition, media may attend the Friday Satellite Symposia. Sessions that require a ticket are not open to registered media; these include the How I Treat and Meet-the-Scientist sessions, the Consultative Hematology Course, and ABIM Maintenance of Certification learning sessions.
Pre-Meeting Press Briefing Webinar
Registered media will be invited to join a webinar hosted by ASH leaders. The discussion will highlight important themes and trends that will be covered at the annual meeting; previews of groundbreaking research being presented at the upcoming meeting; and abstracts to watch that have the potential to change clinical practice.
Press Working Room and Press Briefing Policies
Media credentials are required for entry and use of the press working room. Media badges are non-transferable. Registered media who lend their badges to other individuals seeking access to the press working room risk having their media credentials revoked and access to future ASH meetings denied.
The ASH press briefing schedule and list of presentation topics will be made available in advance of the meeting. Reporters who are unable to attend the press conferences will be able to join via audio conferencing and will be able to view videos of the briefings in the online press kit.
Electronic or hard copies of presentation slides provided to registered media during ASH press briefings are for background information. Those who share slides on social media during the meeting must reference the study author/presenter. For more information, see ASH’s Photography, Video, and Audio Recording Policies.
Annual Meeting Embargo Policy
By accepting ASH annual meeting media credentials, reporters are agreeing to the ASH embargo policy.
Materials presented at the ASH annual meeting, including slides, audio, abstracts, and posters, are protected by copyright and may not be publicly displayed or republished without express written permission from the copyright owner. Please read the ASH annual meeting policy on Photography and Recording of Copyrighted Material for more details.
Photography, Video, and Audio Recording
Registered media must follow the official ASH annual meeting policy on Photography and Recording of Copyrighted Material that applies to all attendees. In general, registered media are allowed to:
- Photograph, video and/or audio record any official ASH press briefing. However, live streaming of the press briefings is strictly prohibited.
- Take photos and audio record in the session rooms and poster hall for their personal use. Photos and/or audio recordings must be captured in a non-disruptive manner so as not to disturb the presenter and other attendees.
- Video record in public areas of the convention center. Media must receive prior approval and receive a camera tag at media registration check in on site in the press working room.
Flash photography, video recording, and live streaming of any annual meeting materials, including all presentations and posters, is strictly prohibited.
Registered media may reserve on site interview rooms for a maximum of two hours a day in advance of the meeting and based on availability additional time may be reserved on site at the meeting. All interviews are scheduled in half-hour increments and are only for the purposes of editorial news coverage. Requests can be made through the ASH media relations staff. Use of these rooms is by appointment only and is subject to availability. Please contact the ASH media staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-659-5883 with any special requests related to media facilities above and beyond what is provided by ASH; these must be made in writing no less than 30 days prior to the annual meeting and must be approved by the Society.
Media interviews are also allowed to take place within the confines of a company’s booth, so long as the rules of the ASH exhibit hall are observed, including the photography policy.
ASH media staff can help arrange pre-meeting interviews with researchers whose work is featured in the ASH press program, as well as ASH spokespeople. Please note that all pre-meeting interviews follow the same embargo policies.
Violation of ASH Policies by Reporters
The Society reserves the right to revoke media credentials and/or bar, from this and future annual meetings, any registered media who violate these press policies, or who misuse media privileges to engage in activities other than journalistic pursuits. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
back to top
- Transferring a media badge to an individual not registered as media
- Misrepresentation of role or activities to obtain media registration
- Misusing media access on behalf of publications not disclosed in the media registration request, or not writing for the credentialed outlet
- Accessing the press working room without credentials for the purpose of providing company press releases to reporters
- Attempting to obtain advertising or subscriptions from any exhibitor or registrant
- Deliberately promoting the marketing objectives of a single company or institution
- Use of the ASH logo on an outlet’s website, publication, or step-and-repeat banner without explicit written permission from ASH