The FSS submission site is now closed.
ASH appreciates its corporate and nonprofit partners for their participation in the Friday Satellite Symposia (FSS), industry-sponsored, CME-certified sessions that are offered the day preceding the ASH annual meeting. These sessions are not part of the official ASH annual meeting program and are planned solely by the sponsoring company.
The 2018 FSS will take place on Friday, November 30, 2018, in San Diego, California.
Please review the guidelines below before beginning the FSS submission process.
The application and a proposal must be submitted through the online submission site by May 31, 2018. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Please pay close attention to each required component of the application. Please be as accurate and detailed as possible, as ASH will email information contained in the applications of all accepted programs to all pre-registered attendees on three different occasions. Please take all imperative steps to ensure all submitted information is as accurate as possible. ASH must be notified of any changes made after the submission deadline which includes, but is not limited to, change in the management company, CME provider, corporate supporter(s), speakers, symposium topics, and the title of the program.
Applications must be signed by representatives accepting responsibility for the program. By signing the application, each representative agrees to take responsibility for the following ASH FSS Guidelines. Please designate one contact person with whom ASH should communicate and who agrees to share information with other program representatives.
ASH will accept up to two (2) applications from one company as a sole supporter of a symposium. ASH does not limit the number of applications of co-supported symposia. That is, so long as there are multiple supporting companies on a symposium proposal, there is no longer a limit to the number of applications submitted to ASH for consideration. Please keep in mind that each symposium should be unique and answer an unmet educational need.back to top
A payment to the American Society of Hematology is associated with each symposium. It is necessary that funding be confirmed at the time of submission. Applicants are required to submit a letter of agreement from all supporting companies in order for each company to be listed as a co-supporter in promotional materials. Each amount is based on the estimated attendance; however, please note that if the actual attendance exceeds the estimate, ASH will re-invoice as necessary. No refunds will be made if the attendance is less than anticipated.
|Number of Attendees||Rate|
|800 attendees||$129,203 (max attendance)|
|Number of Attendees||Rate|
back to top
- ASH limits symposia during the 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. time slot for nonprofit organizations only. ASH has reduced the payment of the standard rate for nonprofit organizations that choose to participate in this exclusive time slot.
- Any organization requesting the reduced rate will be required to provide proof of nonprofit status, such as an IRS Determination Letter, with the application.
- If there is a co-supporting company for the symposia, both companies must be a nonprofit to take advantage of the discounted rate and time slot.
- Nonprofit organizations choosing the afternoon or evening time slot must pay the standard rate.
- In special circumstances, pharmaceutical companies partnering with a nonprofit may request for their program to be held during the 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. time slot, however they will be required to pay the standard rate.
- Additional fees may apply for special requests. If you have questions, please contact Thelma Barnett, ASH Corporate Relations Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There are three time slots available:
- 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. (nonprofits only)
- 12:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- 6:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
back to top
- All expenses associated with approved FSS programs, such as room set-up and clean-up, room re-set fees (if applicable), food and beverage, A/V, electrical, telephone, shipping, etc. are the sole responsibility of the FSS organizer. Requests for additional setup time may be accommodated, based on availability and will be subject to additional fees.
- ASH is not responsible for any charges incurred for the symposium.
Only organizations accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) may sponsor CME activities and may award AMA PRA Category One (1) Credit™. These accredited providers are responsible for the content, quality, and scientific integrity of all CME activities certified for credit.
ASH does not suggest or approve content or speakers for activities for which it is not the accredited provider. ASH encourages all providers participating in the FSS to review the current ACCME Standards for Commercial Support. These standards, along with tools to implement them, can be found at www.accme.org.
back to top
- All of the FSS must provide CME credit, and organizers are responsible for obtaining accreditation.
- Speakers must disclose relevant conflicts of interest prior to the CME activity. A written disclosure slide must precede each presentation.
- Speakers must provide appropriate disclosures of non-FDA approved (off-label) uses for drugs and medical devices.
- References must be included with data and slides.
- There must be appropriate evaluation of symposium content and speakers, as well as a final attendance count. Please email the evaluation summary to email@example.com.
- Applications will be scored based on the information provided. This score will determine which symposia are selected as well as whether the preferred time slot is assigned. ASH cannot guarantee the preferred time slot or a separate room for food functions. In addition, ASH cannot guarantee FSS will be scheduled during a different time from other presentations covering similar topics.
- A formal study section will score applications based on the quality of the proposal. The study section will be looking for scientific merit, audience interest in the topic, and uniqueness of the symposium (i.e. not similar to any of the ASH Education or Scientific sessions or duplicating one of last year’s FSS).
- The study section’s scores are confidential, and the decision of the study section is final.
- All relevant information should be included in the written application.
- After the study section scores the applications, ASH will email letters to each contact person listed on the application. The contact person for each approved symposium will also receive detailed instructions about logistics (room assignments, food functions, venue, audio/visual contacts, shipping instructions, etc.), as well as an invoice and letter of agreement.
NOTE: Applicants for the FSS may not contact the study section, ASH members, or the ASH Executive Committee to influence selection for the FSS presentations. No recommendations and/or letters of support will be accepted for any application.back to top
back to top
- The proposed program must be unique and offer the audience information not previously presented during other forums or meetings involving the hematology/oncology community.
- The proposed program title must be indicative of the symposium content.
- The proposed objectives should clearly meet the educational needs of the target audience.
- The program must be presented in an objective, balanced, and scientifically rigorous manner.
- The program cannot promote a specific drug product or service and must meet the policies and guidelines of the ACCME.
- The content and format of the CME activity and its related materials must promote improvements or quality in health care and not a specific proprietary business interest.
ASH policy prohibits members of the following groups from participating in the FSS:
- 2018 ASH Executive Committee
- 2018 ASH Honorific and Mentor Award recipients
- 2018 ASH Standing Committee chairs and editors
- 2017 and 2018 ASH Program Committee co-chairs
- 2018 ASH Committee on Educational Affairs
- 2018 ASH Annual Meeting Scientific Program speakers
- 2018 ASH Annual Meeting Education Program speakers
- 2018 ASH Annual Meeting special lecturers (includes Honorific Award winners in the current year)
- 2018 ASH Annual Meeting Trainee Event speakers
- Any other 2018 ASH Annual Meeting Special Session speakers
Invited Speaker List
*This list will be updated on a weekly basis
NOTE: Speakers from the Meet-the-Expert sessions are allowed to participate in the FSS.
Applications naming members of the above-named groups will be disqualified. All ASH committee members can found on the ASH website.
Disclosure information for each speaker must be submitted to ASH with the application. There are no exceptions.
FSS participants (chairs, speakers, panelists, etc.) can participate in only one symposium. It is the responsibility of the FSS organizers to ensure that their speakers have not committed to speak at another symposium before submitting the application. If ASH receives two applications listing the same speaker, the symposium with the lower score will be rejected.
ASH asks that the letters of invitation to the speakers for the symposium indicate that ASH expects that speakers will not substitute participation in a FSS for participation in ASH's Education or Scientific Committee sessions.
ASH requests that no more than six (6) speakers present at each symposium.back to top
Registration and Room Set-Up
back to top
- Registration at the annual meeting is not a requirement for admittance into the FSS.
- ASH requires that any registration outside of the symposium room be limited to three six-foot tables.
- All symposium rooms will be assigned based on accommodating the number of estimated attendees per the FSS application in theater style. Any requested changes to the room set must be submitted to Heather Winston at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than July 20.
- Rooms may be set with more seats than requested in the application, because FSS rooms are shared between multiple groups. If you have extra seats, you still need to adhere to your estimated attendance or you will be subject to fees for the additional attendees. If you want to re-set the room to have the precise number of estimated seats you will be responsible for any associated room re-set charges as assessed by the facility.
- Symposium lectures must be contained within your assigned room. Video overflow to adjacent rooms will not be permitted.
- A separate room or foyer area will be assigned to those companies wishing to serve food and beverages, as available. Food room sizes will be based on your projected number of attendees. Please be as accurate as possible when submitting your attendance number so we can ensure the food room size is adequate. Any requested changes to the room set must be submitted to Heather Winston at email@example.com no later than July 20.
- Registration and all food functions may not begin prior to, or be held after, the assigned time frame.
- Access to the food and session rooms will be given one hour prior to the respective functions. Many food and symposia rooms are re-used meaning access any earlier is not feasible nor are significant room set changes. Requests for additional setup time may be accommodated, based on availability, and will be subject to additional fees.
- Speaker ready rooms will be available based on the schedule outlined below. Speaker ready rooms are typically shared between multiple groups, so requests for access to the speaker ready room outside of these times must be approved directly with Janet Biddle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Morning Symposia: Thursday from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Afternoon Symposia: Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon
- Evening Symposia: Friday from 1:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
back to top
- ASH requires all FSS organizers to use Freeman Audio Visual, ASH’s official audio/visual (A/V) company, for all programs. Once your application is accepted, contact information will be sent to all organizers.
- Freeman Audio Visual can also assist with any multimedia needs (e.g., CD-ROMs, webcasts, and publications).
- All presentations must be submitted with a 16:9 aspect ratio.
back to top
- To ensure all FSS abide by venue safety and ingress and egress policies, each FSS will be provided with two staff from ASH’s security vendor, RA Consulting. The security vendor will assist with line control as well as safe entry and exit out of the FSS meeting rooms. RA Consulting staff are not available to assist with registration, passing out materials, or any other aspects of the FSS program. If an FSS program exceeds the contracted number of attendees and the increased number will impact the safety of all attendees and/or violate the posted maximum capacity of the room as determined by the venue and Fire Marshal, ASH reserves the right to limit entry to additional attendees, regardless of any pre-registration status.
back to top
- ASH requests that a one-page evaluation summary report, including a final attendance count, be sent to the ASH Corporate Relations Department at email@example.com no later than January 31, 2019.
- Please keep in mind that CME enduring materials are different from syllabus materials or other printed or electronic records of the symposium. Enduring materials are printed, recorded, or computer-assisted educational materials that may be used over time at various locations and that in and of themselves constitute a planned CME activity. An enduring material, as a self-contained educational activity, must have its own needs assessment, educational objectives, content, evaluation instrument, and opportunity for physician learner interaction and discussion.
- As a separate educational activity, an enduring material must also have its own credit designation separate from the live activity accreditation (i.e. if an FSS organizer obtains credit accreditation for the symposium, the credit for the symposium does not translate or crossover to any enduring materials produced from content presented at the symposium).
back to top
- One (1) 38”x87” meter panel is permitted directly outside of symposium room.
- Two (2) 22”x28” directional signs are permitted at approved locations.
- Companies will not be permitted to post promotional signs or literature in hotel or convention center lobbies.
- Additional signage must be submitted by November 16, 2018, and approved by Corporate Relations Coordinator Thelma Barnett.
- Sandwich boards and/or persons handing out promotional materials are prohibited. Standing in the public areas of the convention center or hotel lobby and hallway to promote your symposium is strictly prohibited. This will be closely monitored during FSS, and companies found violating these guidelines risk penalties from ASH. Management companies handling logistics are responsible for adhering to these guidelines as well.
- Any signage found in non-approved locations will be removed and discarded by ASH.
- ASH must review and approve all promotional materials produced in conjunction with the FSS, including invitations, announcements, flyers, websites, and signs. The deadline to submit promotional materials for ASH approval is Friday, November 2, 2018. Please allow up to five business days for ASH to consider requests for approval.
- The ASH logo (or a graphic designed to mimic the ASH logo) may not be used on any promotion or other materials (including enduring materials) produced by companies other than ASH.
- Use of the American Society of Hematology’s name or copyrighted material on any announcement, sign, publication, or other material requires prior written approval by ASH Corporate Relations Coordinator Thelma Barnett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Because the FSS is not officially part of the ASH annual meeting, companies cannot reference their symposium as part of ASH’s annual meeting or imply that it is an ASH event. It is acceptable to refer to the symposium as a “Friday Satellite Symposium on [title], preceding the 60th ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition.”
As a promotional benefit to companies hosting an FSS, ASH will provide the following:
- A registration link on the ASH website for all symposia. The FSS section of the website gets more than 16,000 visits annually.
- A listing of each symposia, including narrative description, location, and contact information, in the 60th ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition Program Book.
- Three email blasts to the 60th ASH Annual Meeting amd Exposition registered attendees, which will list the FSS title, time, and location. The email blasts will be sent on: July 25, September 19, and November 14, 2018. In 2017 a total of 26,363 registered attendees viewed all the email blasts.
- One complimentary 2017 ASH Annual Meeting attendee mailing list for one-time use only. The 2018 pre-registration attendee list will also be available for purchase. ASH pre-approval of all mailing pieces is required. Sample mail pieces must be emailed along with the request form to Thelma Barnett, ASH Corporate Relations Coordinator, at email@example.com. The deadline to submit your mailing piece for approval along with the mailing list request form is Friday, November 2, 2018.
- A meter board listing the FSS schedule and locations will be placed in the ASH annual meeting registration area at the convention center on Thursday, November 29, and Friday, November 30, 2018.
- A flyer listing the FSS schedule and locations will be included in the door bags on Friday, November 30, 2018, at the ASH Headquarters Hotels in San Diego, California.
Use of the ASH mailing lists is for one-time use to promote the FSS only. This will be closely monitored and any companies found to have used the list more than once will face significant penalties.
Possible Penalties for Violating ASH Policies
- The violating company’s FSS score will be reduced.
- The company may not be eligible for participation in future FSS.
- The company may not have access to ancillary meeting space in future years.
- The company may not participate as an exhibitor in future years.
FSS organizers will have the opportunity to promote their symposia through hotel room door drops. Your promotional piece will be delivered to 4,400 guest room doors.
The deadline to submit a proof of your insert along with the Hotel Room Door Drop Application is Friday, October 6, 2018. All inserts must be delivered to the advance warehouse between November 5 and 21. ASH will arrange the delivery of the piece to be placed outside of guest rooms late Thursday evening preceding the 60th ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition.
The rate for the Friday Satellite Symposia insert is $7,750 or $3,100 for nonprofits per insert. As an added benefit, FSS organizers that are also exhibiting at the ASH annual meeting can promote booth space or a Product Theater in the Saturday and/or Sunday bags. The fee is $7,750 per insert, per day or $3,100 per insert, per day for nonprofits.
Participants interested in the purchasing of an insert can contact Connie Shaw at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about the specifications of the inserts, please contact Terri Landis at email@example.com to top
FSS room blocks for staff organizers may be secured online beginning July 6, 2018. All FSS room blocks are available on a prepaid, 100 percent non-refundable basis. For any additional housing questions, please contact the ASH Housing Center at firstname.lastname@example.org
.back to top
All cancellations must be submitted to ASH in writing to email@example.com.
back to top
- Any cancellations received in writing through June 1, 2018, will incur a processing fee of $100.
- Any cancellations received in writing June 2, 2018, through July 2, 2018, will incur a 50 percent cancellation fee.
- Any cancellations received in writing after July 2, 2018, will incur a 100 percent cancellation penalty and the host will be issued no refund of any monies received by ASH for cancellation.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- Deadline for FSS application submissions.
- Acceptance letters emailed to accepted FSS organizers.
- Following acceptance, please submit registration site links to ASH to post on the website at your earliest convenience.
- Logistics notification from the FSS portal, including room diagrams and vendor and facility contact information.
- Final cancellation with partial refund deadline for FSS.
- FSS room block website for staff organizers opens.
- FSS informational conference call hosted by ASH and SPARGO to review policies, monitoring process, and logistics.
- FSS payments and signed letter of agreements due to ASH.
- FSS reservation management website opens.
- Last day to submit names of additional supporting companies where priority points can be applied.
- Housing cut-off and payment deadline.
- Submission deadline for A/V, catering, and lead retrieval orders.
- For more information on lead retrievals please contact 703-995-1800 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submission deadline for approval by ASH of promotional and educational materials (invitations, handouts, signs, flyers, etc.).
- Submission deadline for mailing list requests (mailing piece(s) must be pre-approved by ASH).
- Final deadline for Data Licensing Agreement to be submitted to ASH.
January 31, 2019
back to top
- Copy of the one-page summary evaluation and final attendance count must be submitted to Thelma Barnett at email@example.com by COB Pacific Time.