ASH Global Programs Fund
In many developing countries, due to a shortage of trained hematology personnel and resources, it can be challenging for hematology professionals to receive proper training, especially around specific priority medical needs in their regions. Hematology care is dramatically improved when doctors and other medical professionals can access the fundamental knowledge, skills, and resources to effectively treat their patient populations.
As the world’s premier hematology organization, ASH offers numerous educational resources, research awards, training opportunities, and mentoring programs for hematology professionals from around the world. ASH’s global initiatives help further the understanding of hematology through international collaboration, by fostering the worldwide exchange of knowledge and resources, and by enhancing best practices in clinical care through education and training.
"ASH has had a profound impact on the field of hematology with its mission to advance research, its support for trainees, its extension to many international sites, and much, much more. It has been my privilege to support ASH through the ASH Foundation on an annual basis. There is still work to be done to improve outcomes from blood diseases, and support for the ASH Foundation will ensure that it will be carried out."
Global Outreach and Impact
From 2014 to 2016, more than 68 hematologists from 32 different low- and middle-income countries have received specialized training through the Visitor Training Program and Latin American Training Program.
ASH's International Consortium on Acute Leukemia (ICAL) has yielded a nearly 50 percent decrease in early mortality and a nearly 30 percent improvement in overall survival in Brazil, Chile, Mexico, and Uruguay.
Since 2005, 590 patients with acute promyelocyctic leukemia (APL) in Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, Peru, and Uruguay have enrolled in the ICAL study which implements a standard-of-care treatment protocol for APL using affordable, available treatment options.
- Since 2013, the Clinical Research Training Institute in Latin America has provided training to more than 60 participants. More than 95 percent of program alumni have said the training motivated them to conduct clinical research.
ASH seeks to address issues of critical importance facing the global hematology community. Your gift to the ASH Global Programs Fund will help the Society meet these challenges and, in many cases, make an immediate impact by enhancing and expanding new, innovative programs and services that benefit hematology worldwide.
Gifts in Action
A few recent examples of gifts benefiting ASH Global Programs include:
- New Advanced Clinical Research Training Institute in Latin America – new “boot camp” piloted in 2017
- Visitor Training Program and Latin American Training Program – 19 additional awards funded in 2017-18
- Highlights of ASH in Asia-Pacific – piloted a new Trainee Day focused on clinical research in March 2017 in Hong Kong
- Health Volunteers Overseas – providing travel stipends for returning volunteers in 2017
- ICAL – providing support for data managers’ work, which is integral to proper maintenance and integrity of ICAL’s research and data (2017-18)
How You Can Help
Your donation to the ASH Global Programs Fund will help build hematology capacity in developing countries and promote international connectivity amongst ASH members worldwide.
Because of strong institutional support from ASH, 100 percent of all charitable donations to the ASH Foundation directly benefit programs sponsored by ASH and are tax deductible as allowed by law.
back to top