The deadline for ancillary meeting room requests is Friday, November 17, 2017, at 11:59 p.m. PST.Request ancillary space
Each December, the ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition brings together more than 20,000 professional attendees committed to the diagnosis and treatment of hematologic diseases. This presents a prime opportunity for affiliates of ASH – exhibitors, corporate supporters, ASH members, patient groups, and nonprofit organizations – to hold meetings and events in connection with the four-day ASH annual meeting. ASH encourages affiliates to take advantage of this opportunity and has established a set of guidelines to be followed when planning and hosting ancillary meetings during the ASH annual meeting. All ancillary meetings held in conjunction with the ASH annual meeting from Thursday, December 7, 2017, through Tuesday, December 12, 2017, must adhere to these guidelines, regardless of the meeting location.
Ancillary Meeting Examples
Other than the pre-approved Friday Satellite Symposia (FSS), which are industry-sponsored, CME-certified meetings held on the day preceding the annual meeting, ASH will be the sole provider of all educational and scientific programming from Thursday, December 7, through Tuesday, December 12, 2017. Consequently, any ancillary meetings with an educational or scientific focus or intent are strictly prohibited during these six days. Examples of permissible ancillary meetings, provided that a suitable request has been submitted and approved in advance, include:
back to top
- Private food and beverage functions that are by invitation only. Corporate/executive staff may speak about their products and services, but educational speakers are prohibited. An educational speaker is a non-corporate/executive staff who is considered a subject matter expert in the field of hematology-related discussion, and may or may not receive a fee for their speaking services. A list of invitees must be provided to ASH no later than Friday, November 17, 2017.
- Investigator meetings and industry updates that are by invitation only. Investigators involved in conducting research for the company and individuals who have provided consultation for the company are appropriate speakers; prospective investigators and consultants are not appropriate. A list of invitees must be provided to ASH no later than Friday, November 17, 2017.
- Hospitality desks desired in hotel lobbies for the purpose of greeting and/or providing information and services to a select group of ASH attendees. Request for registration desks in pre-function or foyer space within meeting space of hotels should be noted within the request for the event looking to be held within the meeting space.
- Press briefings, provided that: (a) content is pre-approved; (b) the briefing complies with any applicable embargo dates/times regarding ASH abstracts; and (c) briefings are not held at the convention center or conflict with any ASH-sponsored events. Visit the ASH website to carefully review the Corporate and Institutional Press Policies for the ASH annual meeting. Questions regarding the correct embargo dates/times for the ASH abstracts should be directed to Stephen Fitzmaurice at email@example.com.
- ASH member meetings involving a group of special interest experts who are working on a joint project (e.g., NIA grantees working on a consortium for anemia and the elderly, sickle cell researchers, or hemophilia treatment center directors). A list of invitees must be provided to ASH no later than Friday, November 17, 2017. Only ASH members should be submitting events under this category.
- Patient advocate group meetings or campaign promotional activities; nonprofit organization meetings/advisory board meetings. A list of invitees must be provided to ASH no later than Friday, November 17, 2017.
- Exhibitor pre-conference meetings that are designed to prepare exhibit staff for exhibit participation. These meetings can be held at any time.
- Internal sales, business, or staff meetings for exhibitors who are at the ASH annual meeting, provided that such meetings are closed to other ASH annual meeting attendees. These meetings can be held at any time.
ASH Invited Speaker Participation in Ancillary Meetings
All invited speakers are prohibited from presenting at ancillary meetings. If a speaker agrees to present at an ancillary meeting and subsequently accepts an invitation from ASH to speak at any official session or program, they will forfeit the ability to speak at the ancillary meeting.
All organizers are required to ensure any speakers selected for an ancillary event are not ASH invited speakers. A detailed list of invited speakers will be available on the ASH website in July with weekly updates made as additional annual meeting speakers are confirmed.
Please note: ASH abstract presenters (oral and/or poster) are not prohibited from speaking at ancillary meetings.back to top
Ancillary Meeting Requests
The main contact for each ancillary meeting request is responsible for assuring that all vendors, speakers, and meeting invitees understand and comply with the following guidelines. A violation of these guidelines will be attributed to all parties related to that meeting request.
Requests for ancillary meetings held during the ASH annual meeting must be submitted online and approved by ASH. A $100 non-refundable processing fee is assessed for each ancillary event request submitted.Request ancillary space
Each Ancillary Meeting Room Request form must include: (a) the identity of the organizer requesting the ancillary meeting; (b) the date, start time, and end time of the ancillary meeting; (c) the names and affiliations of the persons speaking at the ancillary meeting; (d) a brief description of the purpose and objectives of the ancillary meeting; (e) a list of invitees to the ancillary meeting (only applicable to certain types of ancillary meetings as stated below); and (f) the release and indemnification commitment described below.
Meeting space is limited and Ancillary Meeting Room Request forms that comply with these guidelines will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no meeting space available for ancillary function at the convention center. The deadline for ancillary meeting room requests is Friday, November 17, 2017, 11:59 p.m. PST. Space for ancillary meetings will be provided only to requestors who are affiliated with ASH, such as exhibitors, corporate sponsors, nonprofit organizations, ASH members, and annual meeting attendees. Hotels in the ASH room block will not reserve meeting rooms/function space for ancillary meetings for any individuals/organizations during the ASH annual meeting without prior approval from ASH. The main contact is responsible for all costs associated with the approved ancillary meeting (room rental, food/beverage, audio/visual equipment, labor costs, etc.). It is the organizer’s responsibility to work with the assigned hotel to make arrangements and finalize billing.
If you have questions or require additional information about ancillary meeting room requests, please contact Samantha Sutton at firstname.lastname@example.org or (703) 995-3860.back to top
Approved Dates and Times of Ancillary Meetings
Ancillary meetings are only permitted during hours that do not conflict with the ASH Education Program, Scientific Program, oral/poster sessions, or other official ASH events. Once approved, any proposed changes in date and/or time of the ancillary meeting require prior approval by ASH. Meetings must start and end within the approved times listed below. The following table provides approved dates and times for ancillary meetings.
back to top
|Thu, Dec 7||No time restrictions; events can be held all day||No time restrictions; events can be held all day||No time restrictions; events can be held all day|
|Fri, Dec 8||No time restrictions; events can be held all day||No time restrictions; events can be held all day||No time restrictions; events can be held all day|
|Sat, Dec 9||6:00 – 7:30 a.m.||11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||Any time after 7:30 p.m.|
|Sun, Dec 10||6:00 – 7:30 a.m.||11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||Any time after 8:00 p.m.|
|Mon, Dec 11||6:00 – 7:00 a.m.||12:00 noon – 1:30 p.m.||Any time after 8:00 p.m.|
|Tue, Dec 12||6:00 – 7:30 a.m.||Any time after 1:00 p.m.|| |
Promotion of Ancillary MeetingsAll promotional materials for ancillary meetings must include the following statement:This meeting is NOT an official program of the ASH annual meeting.
The use of any ASH logo or likeness on promotional materials is strictly prohibited. Brochures, posters, or marketing materials of any kind that contain a schedule of official ASH events such as the Education Program, Scientific Program, and oral/poster sessions are also prohibited. Promotion of meetings is not permitted in/around the convention center, in the headquarter hotels, or through “room drops.” This includes individuals walking or standing with signage. Limited, modest, on-site directional signage for ancillary meeting attendees is allowed. Signage must be specific; signs should clearly state the name and location of the event and should be professional in nature.back to top
One sign no larger than 22”x28” is permitted outside of the meeting room. Companies will not be permitted to post promotional signs or literature in hotel or convention center lobbies. Sandwich boards and/or persons holding small signage or handing out promotional materials are prohibited. Standing in the public areas of the convention center or hotel lobby and hallway to promote your meeting is strictly prohibited. Companies found violating these guidelines risk penalties from ASH. ASH also reserves the right to remove without notice signage in violation of the above guidelines.back to top
Requests to photograph, film, or audio record any ancillary meeting must be submitted during the online ancillary event request process. Details on the nature of the photography, filming, or recording will be required.back to top
All requests for exhibitor hospitality suites (parlor suites connected to guest rooms) in hotels within the ASH room block must be submitted through the official housing bureau, SPARGO, Inc. Hospitality suites are best suited for use as lounges where food and beverages are typically provided for attendees to come and go as desired.
ASH understands some exhibitors may wish to hold planned meetings in hospitality suites involving ASH attendees. These meetings are only permitted during the approved dates/times outlined above. Each planned meeting or event must be submitted through the online ancillary event request website after obtaining the hospitality suite through the housing department at SPARGO, Inc.back to top
Release and Indemnification of ASH
The organizer of any ancillary meeting must agree that: (a) it is solely responsible for the conduct and content of the ancillary meeting, and ASH has no such responsibility; (b) ASH’s approval of the ancillary meeting request signifies only that ASH will endeavor to provide space for the ancillary meeting and is not an endorsement of the conduct or content of the ancillary meeting; and (c) it will release, indemnify, defend, and hold harmless ASH and its officers, directors, employees, agents, and contractors (collectively, the “Indemnified Parties”) from any loss, liability, costs, or damages in connection with actual or threatened suits, claims, or causes of action arising out of or relating in any way to any alleged act or omission at, during, or concerning such ancillary meeting, including, but not limited to, claims asserted by any speaker or invitee at the ancillary meeting, the hotel (or other location) at which the ancillary meeting is held, or any other third party.
Important Note: ASH reserves the right to attend/monitor all ancillary meetings without notice. Violators will jeopardize participation in future ASH annual meetings, and, if an exhibitor, their priority-point standing may be affected.
back to top